Export Endnote Data to Microsoft Access

Hello,

I was wondering if there was a way to export the data in an endnote library in a format that can be used by Microsoft Access.

I’m completely new to endnote. When i go to export the data there is a limited number of export file type options. If I export to a .txt file all the column headings are missing.

What I really want to do is export to a tab delimited file. Is there anyway of doing this in endnote?

Thanks for any help.

Mark

The EndNote library references could be exported as a tab-delimited file by using the tab-delimited output style.  It’s just a matter of selecting the tab-delimited style (Go to the toolbar, select EDIT, OUTPUT STYLES, OPEN STYLE MANAGER, locate and select the style). If you can’t locate the style just use the Web Styles Finder (Go to the toolbar, select HELP, WEB STYLES FINDER) to head to the EndNote support site to download the style.

Once you have selected the tab-delimited style, go the toolbar, select FILE, EXPORT.  Change the “Save as type” option to RTF by clicking the pull-down menu. Then in the “Output style” option, click the pull-down menu to select TAB DELIMITED.  If you wish to export the entire library, un-check the “Export Selected References” option.  Then click the SAVE button.

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately that doesnt work as the text isnt exported in the right format to be imported into access.

Can anyone help please?

:slight_smile:

Bob Gear wrote a treatise on this awhile back.  I found it again here from this previous thread.   See if it has what you need? 

Thanks Leanna ive pretty much got it sorted now.

The only problem im having is if information has been entered in keywords for example like this:

Soil

Worm

Leaf Litter

instead of Soil; Worm; Leaf Litter

The data doesnt import into Access properly.

I think this is maybe something to do with the Carriage Returns.

Bob Gear states to export the library using the “tagged” endnote export style and then reimport the resulting file into a new endnote library.

However i cant find the “tagged” endnote export style anywhere.

Im using Endnote X4. Has this perhaps been replaced since bob wrote his paper?

Sorry, I mistakenly thought Access read .rtf files but it doesn’t.  Access does read text files, however, so if you save the exported file as .txt it will import into Access. I tested it and it works. 

So the corrected instruction is:

1. Go to the toolbar, select EDIT, OUTPUT STYLES, OPEN STYLE MANAGER, locate and select the style. (If the style isn’t listed, use the Web Styles Finder (Go to the toolbar, select HELP, WEB STYLES FINDER) to head to the EndNote support site to download the style.

2. Once the tab-delimited style is selected, go the toolbar, select FILE, EXPORT.  Keep the default “Save as type” as Text file (.txt). In the “Output style” option, click the pull-down menu to select TAB DELIMITED.  If you wish to export the entire library, un-check the “Export Selected References” option.  Then click the SAVE button.

If you go here: http://www.endnote.com/support/enstyles.asp

you can type in “endnote” and see “endnote export” and download it, saving it from endnote.   

@mark909 wrote:

Bob Gear states to export the library using the “tagged” endnote export style and then reimport the resulting file into a new endnote library.

However i cant find the “tagged” endnote export style anywhere.

Thanks Leanna ill have another look at it later today :slight_smile:

Leanna wrote:

If you go here: http://www.endnote.com/support/enstyles.asp

you can type in “endnote” and see “endnote export” and download it, saving it from endnote. 

Hi leanna ive had chance to download this file now and unfortunately it says bad style file in the category column when i go to choose a style after saving it in the endnote styles directory.

Im using endnote 7 so not sure if this is the reason or not?

Thanks for your help

Yep, you will need to follow the link further up in the page and download the whole archive I guess to get the style you need.  (specifics copied below.)  I am really surprised though, that it isn’t in your collection already.  Have you checked again?  Endnote7 installation pretty much installed everything as default, unless you customized the installation, as recall from um 5-7 years ago, when I last used it… 

VERSION 4-7: Download an archive of styles updated through April 2006.

NOTE: rename any files you have customized as the new versions will overwrite existing files. Once the Zip file(s) is downloaded to your desktop, copy the file(s) to the appropriate folder in your EndNote program directory (usually located in Windows—C:\Program Files\EndNote\Styles or Mac OS X—Harddrive:Applications:EndNote:Styles).

(p.s. added in edit--  in a previous message you said you were using ENX4? )