Fixing the Order for References from the Same Author and Same Year

Hi there,

I have the following references in APA format in my document:

Klein, K. J., & Kozlowski, S. W. J. (2000a). From micro to meso: Steps in conceptualizing and conducting multilevel research. Organizational Research Methods, 3(3), 211-236.

Klein, K. J., & Kozlowski, S. W. J. (2000b). Multilevel theory, research, and methods in organizations: Foundations, extensions, and new directions. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.

However, the second citation (i.e., the book) appears first.  I can’t seem to figure out how to get subscript in the year (i.e., a vs. b) to reflect the order of appearance.  I’ve tried reworking the “Sort Order” for both the citations and bibliography.  I’m sure it would work if I changed the bibliography Sort Order to “Order of appearance,” but this doesn’t conform to APA standards.

Any suggestions?

Best,

Andrew

Try this thread to see if it helps you. 

Subsequent note to the thread referenced below.

Another trick is to alter the actual records themselves to have the 2000a 2000b  in the year, temporarily (or make a copy of the cited records by selecting the temporay group and compressing them to a new library, and open that library, change the year and use the new library to format the document.  Then still need to make sure sort is Author follwed by year in a new output style. 

If you are using APA referencing style, then the order EndNote has given them is actually correct, and you do not need to change anything.

One page that explains the APA rules in this regard is http://blog.apastyle.org/apastyle/2011/10/reference-twins.html. In short, APA specifies that the references are listed in order by title of the work, not in the order of appearance.

Cheers

John

1 Like

Leanne and John-Arnold for your quick replies.  It’s good to know that there is a solution, but that EndNote is formatting it correctly.  I’ll have to work my Editor to see how we’ll handle this.

Best,

Andrew