HELP Same author, same year not in order in text.

I have references for a same author in a same year. They are in the correct order in the biblography. However, they are in the correct order in text. For example, the first one if John, 2015d, instead of john 2015a. Any sugegstion?

Your citation sequence is due to the Sort Order setting in the Citations section of your Endnote output style. The citations may be sorting based on the Author + Year + Title fields or other variation but the setting you want is: “Same as bibliography”. (Refer to attached image.)

Go to the Endnote toolbar and select : Edit > Output Styles > Edit [name of your output style]. Then in the output style dialog box locate the Citations section and click on Sort Order. Select “Same as bibliography”. After you modify the output style it will be saved as a new file “APA 6th Copy”. Adjust the Endnote tab in the MS word ribbon to use the new output style.
citations sort order.gif

Hi Master, 

Thanks for your help.

Unfortunately the sort order is as biblography in the citation section :frowning:

I’m really confused!!!

Sometimes this can happen if the author name is slightly different in the two records.  Try copying the line from one to the other in the record, and see if it fixes things?  You might read thru this thread. There are other similar discussion (but I seem unable to find them right now).  http://community.thomsonreuters.com/t5/EndNote-How-To/Multiple-citations-from-an-author-in-one-year/td-p/443

In my experience, a manuscript is rarely rejected due to something like this, and the editors sort out in house sorting requirements, as long as you are close!

@hadigh84 wrote:

Unfortunately the sort order is as biblography in the citation section :frowning:

Check the bibliography Sort Order setting in your output style. The bibliograohy may be sorting based on the Author + Year + Title fields. If so, change the Citations sort setting to either:   1)  Author + Year  or 2)  Don’t sort.  

Also be sure you have updated your version of Endnote to the most recent update.  There was a bug in one of the earlier updates that assigned the letters incorrectly to the ambiguous citations.  Maybe that is what you are seeing?  Go to the Help about – it should be EndNote X7.3.1 (Bld 8614) on the PC/Windows version.  You can “Check for updates…” in that Help menu as well.