Formatting Bibliography in Pages 10.1 on Mac OS Catalina

Hello,

I am using Endnote X9 in Pages 10.1 on Mac OS Catalina with the Plug-In and am citing according to APA 7. I switched to Pages, because Endnote was very slow with Microsoft Word (it took approx. 20-40 seconds for a citation to be inserted).

I have 2 Questions: 

1.) I have already noticed that Pages does not include changes/updates in the bibliography made to a citation in Endnote after the citation has been inserted in the text. Is there a way to update the bibliography?

2.) How can I format the bibliography in Pages that the changes will stay and not be reversed when I inserted a new citation? The bibliography does not look as it should look for APA, italic passages appear but the indent after the first line does not appear… I also considered editing the Document in Word once I am finsihed but when I tried this there were so many invalid citations, which did neither appear in the text nor in the bibliography. 

Are there ways to solve this?

I would be ve

Reply:  Pages is not updated very often and is under Apple’s control not the EndNote developers, - Word’s interface is much more flexible so I suggest you might want to reach out to tech support to figure out what the issues were, and solve them, IMHO.  

In both Word and Pages, you can’t edit the inserted fields and expect endnote not to update them back to what they were.  You need to edit the output style to correctly reflect the needs of your publisher.   What kind of editing were you trying to do?  

You also can’t jump from pages to word and back again or endnote fields will be removed and no longer update as they are completely different implementations.  You have to stay with one processor.  

Hi Leanne,

thank you so much for your reply.

Regarding your question: “In both Word and Pages, you can’t edit the inserted fields and expect endnote not to update them back to what they were.  You need to edit the output style to correctly reflect the needs of your publisher.   What kind of editing were you trying to do?” I meant that the changes I make to a citation in the EndNote program itself are not updated in the Pages Bibliography as they are in Word. 

But I guess then I’ll give Word another shot… :slight_smile: