Working with Apple Pages

Hello all,

As many people have been expressing interest in a single location to discuss the EndNote integration with Apple Pages, I’m creating this stickied topic for such discussion.  Enjoy!

If I send a Pages document to somebody for edits and they edit it in Word, all the links to endnote are lost and the bibliography is reformatted as text when I open it again in Pages.  I just got off the phone with EndNote and they are aware.  Unfortunately, they do not think there will be a solution to this problem.  They might fix it so that links are portable FROM Pages TO Word, but not vice-versa.  It sounds like if somebody in the group uses Word (inevitable) than everybody must use Word (boo).  The functionality with Pages would work for a standalone author, but is useless for anybody who wants to collaborate.  Would love any solution!

Thanks,

Eric 

1 Like

Dear TR,

Thank you for adding Endnote X2 CWYW support in Pages.

Unfortunately I find I am still unable to switch to Pages, because citation information is lost when saving to/from MS-Word format (and virtually everything I write involves collaboration with colleagues using MS-Word).

Would it be possible to add in support for unformatted citations, e.g., using the Endnote {curly brackets}?

The Apple iWork '09 0.1 update is now available.

For EndNote - Pages users, the following issues should be addressed by this update:

-    Super- and sub-scripting now appear as they should – not reversed
-    Italic titles now appear properly in bibliographies
-    Text returns to normal size automatically when typing immediately after a super/sub scripted in-text citation.

This update is available to iWork '09 users through your Macintosh “Software Update…” function.

Jason Rollins, the EndNote team

1 Like

Hello,

I am new to endnote-trying it out to see if it will help with Turabian.  I am hoping for a template to format papers. So far, I don’t know which template is like Turabian, they all seem to be for science or medicine. The Chicago 15th, which I thought should be close, brings up a template for “Nature” a science journal and doesn’t appear to be Chicago. Any suggestions?

Thanks 

Yes - EndNote supports the Turabian Bibliographic Output Style - including the footnotes and bibliography. If you are looking at the demo/evaluation version of EndNote and see just a “Nature template”, this is a bit different. In this case a “Template” is an MS Word document that has additional embedded code and details added to it to help one format a complete manuscript - not just the citations and bibliography. These templates only work with MS Word and only the one for the journal “Nature” is included with the demo. The full version of EndNote includes many more. However, the Turabian output style is available with the demo and will allow you to test the formatting with Word or Apple Pages.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. So I should be able to format footnotes and bibliography with endnotes - right?

“…I should be able to format footnotes and bibliography…” - yes. Despite the product name “EndNote” - it can also help with footnotes. In Word or Pages, use the built in “footnote” feature and then insert the citation information using the EndNote application tools. There is plenty more detail about this in the EndNote manual and help file.

You will want to use the “Turabian Bibliography” style in EndNote.

Hello,

I’ve just installed endnote x2 on my mac where I have Pages running. After restarting pages, I could get the ‘insert endnote citation’ and ‘format bibliography’ options in Pages’ insert menu. However, when I tried to use the insert citation option it opened a blank library. I was able to drag and drop citations from endnote into pages, but again, when I try to reformat the bibliography I get a message that no citations have been put in place.

I use Pages 09 V4.0.1( 746)

and Endnte 2.0.1 (Bld 3889)

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Hi, i just switched from word to pages an can’t find how to format the citations. When I insert something I get temporary citations, and other than in word i don’t have any function to format the citation. Ist there somewhere a endnote toolbar I don’t know how to activate?

I have to finish my thesis soon an am very thankful to any help.

vanessa 

In Pages, the EndNote commands are accessed from the Edit and Insert menus - not from a toolbar. See the attached screen shot.

Thanks to the previous message, I can insert citations into pages and, if I used the Insert>Endnote Citation menu, it will automatically generate a bibliography. 

However, like Vanessa, I sometimes need to take a documents with temporary citations (like “This is sentence with a citation {Harada, 1980 #358}.”) and format the bibliography.  I can’t see how that is done?

Also, where would one find working with Pages '09 in the user guide?  Or is there some other documentation?

1 Like

The CWYW Window does not seem to accept more than one search word in Pages. That is terrible, sometimes you have to browse 50+ hits to find the one you want. With Word 2008 combined searches seem to work very well. Is there a way to implement this functionality for Pages?

Best regards,

R. Deutsch 

As for:

“…combined searches … Is there a way to implement this functionality for Pages?”

this should very likely be possible but these suggestions will have the most impact if they are sent directly to Apple as well:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/pages.html

Hi,

I am writing my master thesis in Pages with Endnote X2. I have updated the styles in my Endnote library (changed author list appreances etc.) and saved it. How can I update the bibliography in my document with theese changes? In other programmes you normally use “format bibliography” (word 2003) or “update citation and bibliography” (office 2007). How do I do this in Pages?

Ane 

The first thing to try might be the following:

After making edits to records or Output Styles in EndNote, it might be necessary to close and restart both EndNote and Pages for the edits to be visible in Pages.

Then use the Pages - Edit > EndNote Citations > Bibliography Format menu item to change/update the citations and bibliography.

I just started using Endnote X2 (X2.0.1 (Bld 3889)) with Pages '09 (4.0.2 (751)).  When I use references with authors who have capitals that are not first letter of the name (eg. McKay, De Giacomo, and Nuth III), the citation in the text looses that capitalization (eg. “(De giacomo et al., 2007; Mckay, 1997; Nuth iii et al., 2006)”).  Is there a way around this? 

@jasonr wrote:

The first thing to try might be the following:

After making edits to records or Output Styles in EndNote, it might be necessary to close and restart both EndNote and Pages for the edits to be visible in Pages.

Then use the Pages - Edit > EndNote Citations > Bibliography Format menu item to change/update the citations and bibliography.

In my case, some journal titles were not being abbreviated in my bibliography - I went to the journals term list and input the correct abbreviations.  The citation previews in the EndNote library window now correctly show the abbreviated journal names, but I cannot get the bibliography in my Pages document to update, even after quitting and restarting both applications.  Is there any way to force the bibliography in Pages to be regenerated, as there is in Word?

Thanks!

Hi, I have a simple question: how do I unformat citations in Apple Pages 09?

I would love to insert them via the tool, but be able to format/unformat them afterwards to my convenience.

This is particularly vital for transferring the citations and bibliography to another word processor or even to Word 2007 (for Windows). I am aware that I could simply type in unformatted citations myself, but ideally I could use the built-in functions (“insert”-“endnote citation”-etc.).

Thanks!

Unformatting EndNote citations in a Pages '09 document is not currently possible but is something that should be suggested directly to Apple:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/pages.html