I have been following this thread and figured I would add my two cents… I really need a solution here.
I am having issues getting the bibliography updated using Pages 09 (4.3 - 1048) and Endnote X7 (7.3 - 10362) (N.B., I have also tried all of this with the latest version of Pages 5.5.2 (2120) as well - same results.
Also, I have downloaded the Pages EndNote plug-in and this has not made a difference.
Here is what I have noticed, shown by a simple example.
- Let’s say early in my writing, I inserted the following reference:
I. L. Moudrakovski, in Annual Reports on Nmr Spectroscopy, Vol 79, ed. G. A. Webb, Elsevier Academic Press Inc, San Diego, 2013, vol. 78. pp. 129-240.
- Later, as I am editing, I decide I want to use the journal abbreviation, and that the volume number should be 79 instead of 78. In other words, it should look like this (I have boldfaced the changed parts):
I. L. Moudrakovski, in Ann. Rep. NMR Spectrosc., ed. G. A. Webb, Elsevier Academic Press Inc, San Diego, 2013, vol. 79, pp. 129-240.
- I go into Endnote, make the changes, and it looks fine in Endnote. But switching back to Pages, nothing happens. The reference still appears in its original form.
I have tried:
- Closing, saving, reopening both programs; shutting down, etc. etc.
- Switching between references formats.
- Installed the plugin mentioned above.
- Deleting the bibliography and hoping it will regenerate (it doesn’t - Pages then informs you that you have no citations in the document, and then after a delay, generates the same old bibliography full of original errors).
It seems that the only way to get a change to happen is to find the inserted citation in the document, delete it, and reinsert it… this is a very painful process (I am working on a review with 300+ citations), and sort of defeats the purpose of using EndNote, in part.
I noticed something strange within Pages which leads me to believe the problem is within Pages, and not Endnote.
If I right click on the citation in the text, and then select Edit citation…, there are four versions of the reference listed (see the attached graphic) - all with the incorrect format. I originally did have two duplicates of this reference in my Endnote database, and deleted one of them.
I really hope someone on the Pages team can talk to someone on the EndNote team and work this out… this would seem to be one of the most important and simple functions of an integrated piece of software, and it is not working!
P.S. posting here has been a frustrating process… the web site kept complaing about invalid html, so I had to plain text everything…sorry about that.
P.P.S. I keep getting this error…and I can’t post… why? There is no HTML at all!
Correct the highlighted errors and try again.
There was an error while attempting to post your message. Try again in a few minutes.
Your post has been changed because invalid HTML was found in the message body. The invalid HTML has been removed. Please review the message and submit the message when you are satisfied.