Formatting text when setting up a new template

I have to cite a lot of manuscripts and archives in my work.  EndNote does not format these exactly for the Chicago Style Manual because the Chicago Style Manual is very vague on how to cite manuscripts and archival material.  This is because every archive is set up differently.  It would be nice if they all followed the Library of Congress or something.  

Anyway, I tried to set up a new template for footnotes and the bibliography.  When I insert the fields, it inserts them as straight text.  I am unable to find how to insert the title of the archival collection (Collection Title field) in italics.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

James

Not sure if it makes a difference, but I am using EndNote x4 for MAC.

You select the text of the field name and apply the italics to it, from the “bar” at the top of the edit Output Style dialog box.  Edit>Output Style>edit <currently selected output style>, templates in the bibliography and/or footnotes section. 

see attached image (albeit for the windows version). 

I don’t see anything like that in the MAC version.  

Here is a screen shot of the MAC version.

On the Mac this works differently. Then you highlight the text, click on Edit, then Font, and select the desired attribute. Not all Mac fonts accomodate attributes like italics; if the font you are using doesn’t support italics it will not show up in the Font list.

1 Like

I think I found the solution.

If I highlight the selected field and right-click on the field, a drop down box allows me to select Font and Italics.  

I recently migrated from Windows to the MAC, so I was expecting something more like what you had described.

Thanks for the assistance.

James

Thanks, ellell.  I just figured this out as you were posting the solution.