google scholar and/or worldcat, on the desktop and in endnote web

@crazygecko wrote:

Just some info:

1. There’s been prior requests/discussion about an EndNote connection file to facilitate searching and downloading references from Google Scholar (see here for prior thread). Unfortunately, at present no connection file seems to have been distributed (which may be a reflection of the issues discussed in the thread).

1. If you think there’s a problem with your WorldCat password, you should click the “Forgot my password” link on the home page to obtain a new password.  (See this older thread discussing exporting from WorldCat into EndNote; also check YouTube for instructional videos on the topic.)

1. Since you have EndNote, have you setup an account for EndNote Web which allows searching and retrieving references from ISI Web of Science and online databases :  https://www.myendnoteweb.com/EndNoteWeb.html?Init=Yes&SrcApp=CR&returnCode=ROUTER.Unauthorized

Thank you for getting back to me.

1. The prior thread is dated 2008, and at that time the TR representative said they were ‘working on it.’ So I was hoping for some progress, I guess.

2. I can log into WorldCat without a problem on the WordCat website. I can’t login when I try to search WorldCat through EndNote.

3. Really? I don’t see how that works … I’ll have to check again.

I have to point out that while I like Endnote’s features (or potential features) a lot, Papers for Mac is far, far more flexible in terms of searching and importing references. Where Endnote seems to have a bottleneck (institutional access, or nothing) Papers lets you search Google Scholar, where references almost always link to the publisher’s page for that particular article, and from there it’s the click of a button to download exact metadata directly into Papers.  I point this out because I anticipate somebody is going to say that Google Scholar isn’t all that reliable, which is true. But it almost always gets you where you need to be, and quickly.