How can I use the field "Researcher Notes" in my output style?

There is also the field “Notes” which contains number of citations from the Scopus database. When I use “Researcher Notes” in my output styles (for BiBTex) with the line

| focus = {Researcher Notes},

the output is focus = Researcher cited By 45

that means, the “Notes” part of the code refers to the Notes field, and I cannot get my info I stored in Researcher Notes.

What can I do? Is there a way for me to circumvent this hard coding inconsistency? I tried different ways to clarify that “Researcher Notes” belong together, but the “Notes” part always breaks through.

P.s.: that’s my problem after spending hours to manually transfer my multiple tags from 850 entries into the field “Researcher Notes”, because there is apparently no way to export tags (nor the rating).

I am not following the problem. Is this via connections or exporting and importing via filters? Can you do a global edit on a file before importing changing the tag to a single word?

Its via exporting.

First, I reach each abstract of by database, giving each abstract some “MY TAGS” (F_flexibility,R_bioenergy,S_local,T_operation are the tags I gave the abstract in the screen shot example). That´s the first big short-coming of Endnotes, there is no way to export these Tags, and they can solely be used to sort through within the program.

But for the tags to be useful in a bibliometric analysis (with many hundred references), you will want to evaluate the tags occurrences. That´s why I manually copy pasted them in surrogate fields of which (most!) of them can be exported again. In the screen-shot example you can see how I use the field Research Notes, Database Provider, Label, Access date which where all empty for my collection originally. I use the label field for all tags which start with R (for resources), and the field Database Provider for all which start with N (for needs/provisioning system). I was lucky with those fields, because those fields I can export by adding a line in the output styles which link to the field with {Label} or {Database Provider} as lines in the output styles for BiBTex. That´s what I tried with {Research Notes} as well, which contains all my F tags (for my project focus). But here is the second short coming of EndNote, this field cannot be referenced like the others. The output is the same for the Notes field. It doesn´t matter if I use the line {Researcher Notes} or {Notes}, it will always export what´s written in the Notes field into my BiBtex file.

Thank you for caring,
best
Fabian

I know it is another step, but what if you move contents of research notes to one of the unused custom fields? I am assuming Endnote uses the “generic field name” - but am uncertain why the export function can’t distinguish between “notes” and “research notes” and not sure you can change the reftype table for generic names, but it looks to me like the bibtext export files (there are two of them - but don’t see any obvious difference between them) to specify the ref type label. There, can’t you change the field name to be a single word and unique (edit the preferences “reference types” which in Endnote21 isn’t under edit any more but under tools). – and then you will also have to edit the Bibtext export file to see that new name in each ref type you use? I haven’t ever tried to do this sort of export. so I am just guessing here.