How do I remove numbers from reference list

Hi, I am working on Endnote 20 and I have spend so many hours looking to fix my reference list. I am working with APA 7th output style, and I need to remove the numbers in my reference list.
I am able to remove them from Word, but when I update the EndNote the numbers come back.
Please help.

You want to change your style to a non-numbered output style in the endnote ribbon – how are the citations cited in the text? presumably author, year and not numbered? I just looked at the
APA 7th.ens (70.8 KB)
on the endnote web, and it shouldn’t be putting numbers in the references list . Make sure APA 7th is showing on the endnote ribbon and not some other style? Or download it fresh (from the endnote program help menu), or my attached file – then save as to a slightly different name, and pick that name to use in your document.

Alternatively you can use the option to convert endnote fields to plain text then edit away the numbers. – but then make sure you keep the endnote version for when you will need to make the inevitable edits.

Thank you! But, it didn’t work.
citations in the text seem to be following APA7th (Author, Year), not numbered.
By end note ribbon you are saying in Word or in EndNote app, right? Both are marked APA7th.

I want to avoid the alternative solution as much as possible… :frowning:

Ensure that the Word text is in a” normal” setting. This means do not have a number option for the text in Word.

Start a new document to see if the issue is with Word or Endnote. Type a few lines of text, and insert your citation. Next, go to your Reference list. If the numbers are not there, the issue is with your Word document showing the numbers.

2 Likes

It worked! Thank you!! I lost some formatting that I did before but the numbers are gone!