how to edit existing document references to numbers (in text and at end)

Hello- I’m on a mac and using Endnote7. I am using a library from a particular journal that does create the proper style in the references in word with cite while you write. However, this journal wants numbers in text and the references alphabetic and numbered. I can’t seem to figure out how to do this. Right now, it has linked references by author and year in text that need to be numbers (1,4,8 etc) and the output references at end need to be 1 through X for the number of references. tried many searches but can’t seem to figure it out. Greg

If I’m interpreting your message correctly it sounds like you’re using an Author-Date output style but the journal calls for using a numbered style (?). Are you using an EndNote output style and what’s the name of the journal and what are the submission requirements concerning the references? There are thousands of Endnote output style files so whatever information you can provide may help in locating or creating the output style to apply to your doc.

Can you also clarify a possible contradiction. You mentioned in-text citations will be numbered, but the corresponding references are to be alphabetically sorted and numbered. This won’t be possible as the citation number corresponds to the reference number, so the reference may not be in alphabetical order.

Thanks for the response. I have uploaded a paper from the journal (Phytopathology). I obtained a template from the journal for their reference style. But as I said, in my word document it puts in author/year within text (journal wants numbers) and at the end, the references are in the proper ‘style’ but they are not numbered 1 through X—see .pdf, should be more clear. Don’t know why the journal would post a template to use that will not ‘cite while you write’ in the absolute proper format?

Thanks, Greg

Tried to  upload .pdf but I got an error so I compressed it .zip

phytopathology_example.zip (209 KB)

Forgot to hit the send email button-new to this forum. My direct email is gdouhan@ucr.edu

Endnote has an output style (attached*) for the Phytopathology journal, which uses an Author-Date format and is attached for your reference/use.

Suggest you recheck the Phytopathology journal’s 2015 manuscript submission guidelines as what’s noted is to use an Author-Date citation format - not a numbered format. The journal’s “Author’s Instructions and Manuscript Submission Guidelines” (p. 5) states citing in-text citations using an Author-Date format and listing references in alpha order by authors’ surnames:

Guidelines for citing in text. Use the author-year method of

citing publications. For example, “Several studies (Anderson

1994; Jones et al. 1992, 1997a, b; Smith and Roberts 2002) have

reported similar findings.” List citations in alphabetical order by

authors’ surnames. When citing multiple works by the same

author, list articles by one author before those by multiple authors.

Determine the sequence by alphabetizing the first author’s surname

and subsequent authors’ surnames, by the year of publication

(most recent last), and, if necessary, by the page numbers

of articles published in the same journal.

Guidelines for reference list. List all references in alphabetical

order by authors’ surnames. Single-author works should be listed

before works with multiple authors. Works by the same author(s)

should be ordered chronologically.

* Installing  the Output Style File

1. Download the  the file to your computer desktop .
  2. Double-click the style file.  It should open in EndNote.
  3. In EndNote, go to “File Menu” and choose “Save As”.  Replace the word “copy” with your style’s name and click “Save”.
  4. Click on “File Menu” and choose “Close Style”.
    Phytopathology.ens (14.8 KB)

Thanks-Figured it out last night that they changed styles recently. However, their library file does not work 100%  because it does not shortten journal names with more than one word but thats easily done by hand. Second journal in one month where there own files from their websites do not work perfectly. But certainly better than doing it by hand!

Greg

please clarify – you shouldn’t have to do anything “by hand” however “easy” – is it some non-standard abbreviation of journals that is required?  

http://endnote.com/kb/82228  

Here is an example of what I’m talking about. The journal wants a name like ‘Molecular Ecology’ to be abbreviated to Mol. Ecol. but the template library file is not coded to do that, it just outputs all journals with more than one name in full instead of abbreviated. Likely some setting to change but I have not tried to toy around with it, just made the changes by hand because there were onlly 15 or 20 of them but it would be nice to know how to tweak the file to work correctly.

You need 

1. a journal term file that has the right journal full name and abbreviations in the right columns and 

2. the output style needs to replace the journal name in the record (which can vary depending on where the data for that record came from) to the appropriate column of the term list.  

So if you have a term list that has been constructed as you  added records to your library (where the preferences are as default, I think see capture.jpg attachment- change/set these settings as I have) – then you need to clean it up as in the video/knowledgebase article I listed -here is again  http://endnote.com/kb/82228  

and you need to check the output style you are now using - (if it is the one that CG attached below, it is set to use the Abbreviation 1 from the terms list see capture1 file attachment, which sounds correct from your example.)

PS  --I highly recommend that you edit your message below and remove your email address. You need to register to post, but not to view the forum.  publishing your email invites spam.  – best to use Private message feature to ask people to communicate directly with you.