How to copy reference to new library without duplicating attached files

I would like to start a new library by copying the references from a file in an old library.  When I do this, Endnote automatically makes duplicates of the pdfs attached to those references.  Since there are so many, I would rather the new references just link to the original pdfs.  (This would all be easier if Endnote allowed folders within folders…)  Is there any way I can get around this problem?

I am using Endnote X1 on a Mac OSX.5.8.  Would be interested to know if it would be easier todo this sort of thing in the most recent version of Endnote, as well.

Message Edited by mmr on 11-03-2009 11:52 AM

This is not possible to my knowledge.  While Endnote can convert absolute links to relative links, I can’t think of an easy way to convert relative links to absolute links.  There are wish list items that relate to making the PDF links, editable, which if implemented, might allow this kind of feature.  see number 8 of this list: http://community.thomsonreuters.com/ts/board/message?board.id=en-suggest&view=by_date_descending&message.id=457#M457

Darn.  I’d appreciate it if anyone had any ideas about the easiest way to go about doing this.  I basically am trying to have a library that is just references for my dissertation research, and not all the extraneous stuff I’ve accumulated over the past few years.  Then I’d like to put these references in theme-based folders.  Currently my “dissertation folder” is too big and disorganized.  But since I’ve already got 100s of references, many with attached pdfs, that I’d like in the “just dissertation” library, I can’t  start a new library manually–I don’t want to waste my time re-attaching all those pdfs.  Nor do I want all those duplicates.

I just wish Endnote allowed folders inside other folders in a library, or allowed me to transfer references in one library to another, without them turning into “new” references.  But since it doesn’t (Yet? If a new endnote solved these problems I would actually use my meager grad student bugdet to buy it.)-- any ideas about the easiest way to do what 'd like to do would be welcomed.  (Or suggestions about other software that would do this.)  Help! 

There are several things you can do.

1. Upgrade to X3 (will cost some $, of course), and use Group/Group set function to categorize/organize your references. Just keep your “giant” or “messy” library as it is. You can easily create “References for thesis” group set, and under this set, create your own category groups. Then you don’t need to relocate/rename/reattach your PDFs. But, no matter what, you’ll probably face “clean up” pressure after getting the thesis accepted, I guess.

2. Export only essential (“for thesis”) references using Endnote export (change output style such that you don’t include the file attachment information), and re-import to a new library. Upgrade to X3, and use Find full text function to attach PDFs. Then you don’t do the “re-attachment” for hundreds of them.

3. Take a deep breath, then start renaming all the essential PDF using some ID numbers. Put all of them in one folder. Use URL field to attach PDFs. (This is the method I use, but I didn’t take a deep breath. I started maybe 6 or 7 years ago when Endnote first had URL field. Reasons: I don’t use folders to categorize PDFs. I use Endnote to categorize my records w/ PDFs. URL field allows me to batch-edit text information by Change Text feature. etc)