How to create bibliography listings for references with bylines that contain the name(s) of individual authors and the name(s) of a group or groups

I am working in AMA style, and I sometimes have particular references that should include individual authors, along with a group or groups that wrote the pubished work. AMA style dictates that it should look like this:

Hennis A, Wu S-Y, Nemesure B, Leske MC; Barbados Eye Studies Group.
Risk factors for incident cortical and posterior subcapsular lens opacities in
the Barbados Eye Studies. Arch Ophthalmol. 2004;122(4):525-530.

I’ve poked around EndNote styles but cannot find a way to force EndNote to include the 1st 3 or fewer authors and the group(s) separated by a semicolon.

Any idea how to do this?

Thanks!

Is AMA a “numbered” style? If only the first 3 authors are to be listed what happens in the case of more than 3 authors – are the first 3 listed and the remainder designated by “et al.”?

The problem is that the Endnote stores the authors names (individual and group/organizations) in a single field (Author). This makes it difficult to treat people names and group names as separate entities to enable the formatting you describe. However, offhand, a possible workaround might be to: 1) separate group/organizational names from the people names and put them in a second Author field by using one of Endnote’s “custom” fields; 2) modify the bibliography template to include the second author field (to enable the group/organizational names to be included alongside in the bibliography entry).

2 Likes

Thanks for these useful tips.