How to format an author with comma in the Name

Hi 

I have to whrite several Institutions in the field “author”, which contain a comma. For example: Direktion für Bildung, Kultur und Sport. If I format the citation oder bibliography in word, it takes only Direktion für Bildung. When I slide the comma to the end of the field author in EndNote, the reference will be formatted like this: Direktion für Bildung Kultur und Sport (without comma). How can I format the Author with comma in a way, that it rests correctly cited in word and in the bibliography?

Thanks for your help!

The solution I can think of is to use custom field to accommodate the name of the institution/building. Say, you have “Direktion für Bildung , Kultur und Sport” in Custom 1 field, then have this field before Author in your output style. If the reference have regular authors and no building name (in the Custom 1), output style will format as usual. There would be a better solution…but it would work for you.

Put two commas instead of one:  Direktion für Bildung, Kultur und Sport, that should take care of the problem.

Still a problem as the citation will only include the first part. See

http://community.thomsonreuters.com/ts/board/message?board.id=en-howto&message.id=1825

When I saw much better solution following my twisted one, I said oops, and I was almost returning Guru emblem. But maybe mine could solve the in-text citation problem? (I admit I didn’t know the in-text citation problem at all.)

(Custom 1*Author, Year)  * being link adjacent text

How about using this for in-text citation, and have the “Direktion für Bildung , Kultur und Sport” in Custom 1, and no author in the author field. Regular ones still format fine, because Custom 1* will disappear.

@nino6 wrote:

Hi 

I have to whrite several Institutions in the field “author”, which contain a comma. For example: Direktion für Bildung, Kultur und Sport. If I format the citation oder bibliography in word, it takes only Direktion für Bildung. When I slide the comma to the end of the field author in EndNote, the reference will be formatted like this: Direktion für Bildung Kultur und Sport (without comma). How can I format the Author with comma in a way, that it rests correctly cited in word and in the bibliography?

Thanks for your help!

You could try inserting two commas after Direktion für Bildung so the entry (in the Author field) looks like this:

Direktion für Bildung ,** ,**Kultur und Sport

The bibliography entry will appear as: Direktion für Bildung, Kultur und Sport.

Just note, however, that the in-text citation will appear as (Direktion für Bildung, YEAR).  If you want the cite to include the “Kultur und Sport” you will need to manually edit the citation and add the 3 additional words as a suffix.  The manual edits can get rather tiresome if you have alot of  similar-type entries to deal with - so creating a custom field (and modifying the output style) as myoshigi suggests would offer a practical long-termfix.

1 Like

You could try inserting two commas after Direktion für Bildung so the entry (in the Author field) looks like this:

Direktion für Bildung ,** ,**Kultur und Sport

The bibliography entry will appear as: Direktion für Bildung, Kultur und Sport. This is realy a part of the solution! Thank you all for your tipps!

Just note, however, that the in-text citation will appear as (Direktion für Bildung, YEAR).  If you want the cite to include the “Kultur und Sport” you will need to manually edit the citation and add the 3 additional words as a suffix.  Good idea! But I have first to exclude the author and to whrite Direktion für Bildung, Kultur und Sport as a prefix, otherwise the author is behind the year. It is nor a very comfortable solution, but it works!

The manual edits can get rather tiresome if you have alot of  similar-type entries to deal with - so creating a custom field (and modifying the output style) as myoshigi suggests would offer a practical long-termfix.

Thank you all for your help!

1 Like

@myoshigi wrote:
The solution I can think of is to use custom field to accommodate the name of the institution/building. Say, you have “Direktion für Bildung , Kultur und Sport” in Custom 1 field, then have this field before Author in your output style. If the reference have regular authors and no building name (in the Custom 1), output style will format as usual. There would be a better solution…but it would work for you.

Yeah that would be great if Endnote wouldn’t substitute the empty author field with the title in the citation. So if I use the custom field and leave the author field blanc, the citation shows the comma separated name correctly BUT adds the title also. We should have a “field substitution” option also in the citation section to disable that behavior.