How to improve in-text citation for my thesis?

Hi. I have edited Astronomy and Astrophysics style file for my thesis according to the guideline and now my bibliography looks like this:

Granqvist, C.G., 2016, Electrochromics and thermochromics: towards a new paradigm for energy efficient buildings, Materials Today: Proceedings 3,  S2.

Mo, S.-D.,Ching, W., 1995, Electronic and optical properties of three phases of titanium dioxide: Rutile, anatase, and brookite, Physical Review B, 51(19),  13023.

Yang, S., Huang, N., Jin, Y.M., Zhang, H.Q., Su, Y.H., vd., 2015, Crystal shape engineering of anatase TiO 2 and its biomedical applications, CrystEngComm, 17(35),  6617.

However, when I come to in-text citations I have experienced some problems. 

How it is looks like  -----------> How it would be

(Granqvist, 2016) ------> (Granqvist, 2016)  No problem on this. 

(Mo veChing, 1995) ----> (Mo ve Ching, 1995)

(Yang vd., , 2015)  -------> (Yang vd., 2015)

I am assuming the thesis is in a language other than English?  ve means “and” ?  – you need to go into the output style again and make sure there is a space behind the ve word in the Author list setting in the citation settings .  

what is vd ?  – is that in your output style too? et al?

I would need to see the actual edited output style to be sure where the extra comma is coming from? (and what it means for my own edification).  if it et al equivalent, it is probably also an error in the author list setting in the citations settings. 

see the attached for where you edited these settings.  

For references having multiple authors, do you have each author listed on a separate line within the Author field of the Endnote record(s)?

Everything works well after your correction except I still can’t get the space between the “ve” and second author. I would also share my style file but the file is not located at C:\Program Files (x86)\EndNote X8\Styles. I don’t specified any other location, wouldn’t be the style at that location by the default?

There needs to a space after ve as well.

You show the highlighted space before it.  Not sure why the first vd. has a | rather than a space there either?  

The location of the edited styles - are usually located in the owner’s my documents/endnote/styles location to protect them from being overwritten when you update versions.  Also the installed styles folder is write protected by windows, so you couldn’t save them there, if you wanted to, while the program is open.  

The location of your edited styles are defined in the preferences folder location options. Endnote will pull styles in the style manager and find other styles options, and combine the list from both places.  This is also why you should always rename a edited style that you are altering from an installed output style (hence the “copy” appended when you go to save it) so you don’t have two.  Endnote doesn’t know what to do if you have two files identically named in the two locations, and tends to still use the installed version rather than the edited version.  

You should therefore be able to find the modified style in the my documents location and attach it - if you want us to be able to edit it for you.  

thanks!  

You definitely save my time. Thank you. 

BTW, in the first vd., I have forgotten the cursor in that box during snapshot it was also empty space. I also found my style file. If I experience any other trouble I will come back here again :slight_smile:

nice

@erbil wrote:

You definitely save my time. Thank you. 

BTW, in the first vd., I have forgotten the cursor in that box during snapshot it was also empty space. I also found my style file. If I experience any other trouble I will come back here again :slight_smile: