how to sort references by the (physical) library they are in

Hello,

I am using EndNote X3. I have 400 references in my EndNote library, and I would like to sort them by the actual library that holds them (for example New York Public Library, Library of Congress, Library of Oxford University etc) so that when I actually need to read the books I know what location they are in just by running a simple search in my EndNote.

I don’t see a field for that. Does anyone have an idea of how I could enter this information when I create a new reference so that it is easily viewable and searchable? I thought of just putting the library name in an extra field, like the “Notes” or “Research Notes” field. But if I just put the library information in a random field, and then I search something like “Oxford” (to find books in Oxford’s library), the problem is that everything with the word “Oxford” would also turn up. Does anyone have suggestions as to how to solve this?

Thanks a lot,

Shira

You could do it using the Call number field (really intended for a book’s reference number in the physical library, but there’s no reason why it couldn’t include the library name as well).

If you then modify the EndNote preferences for the display fields window you can display the call field there and sort by library name by clicking the heading.

The search done in the library, should be done on just the field you use for the Library location (and Rosemary’s suggestion is a good option), and not all fields.  This would result in your only finding the relevant matches.  This doesn’t work in “find citation” from the wordprocessing toolbar, but certainly does in the library search window at the bottom of the library.   

@shira_klein wrote:

But if I just put the library information in a random field, and then I search something like “Oxford” (to find books in Oxford’s library), the problem is that everything with the word “Oxford” would also turn up. Does anyone have suggestions as to how to solve this?

Thank you very much! I’m a newbie and have only been using the quick-search box at the top of the screen. I didn’t even realize I could limit my search. Thanks to you and Rosemary, I’ve solved this problem. I really appreciate your help.