How to use original publication year when different from publication year?

I’m making a style for the Journal of the History of Economic Thought. Used to have one, but forgot to save it when reinstalling my computer - and I cannot find it online.

The instructions state that books should be listed in the reference list as follows:

Smith, Adam. 1776. A_n Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations_. New York: Modern Library, 1937.

Obviously, 1776 is the original publication date whereas this particular edition was published in 1937. Had I had the original edition, I would only use the Year field and then it should show up after the name of the author. So the rule is: the year shown directly after the author is the original publication year if different from Year, otherwise Year. If the original publication year is shown but the book is a different (newer) edition the Year should be shown at the end.

I cannot figure out how to do this in Endnote. Is it possible? Any ideas? Thanks!

Oh, and just to make things more difficult. The inline citations of course needs to show the year that follows the author name.

So how should the in-text citation look?

Offhand you could do the following but it could change depending upon which year should appear in in-text citation:

1. Store the original publication year (1776) in the Year field.

2. Add a custom field (e.g. “PubYear”) to the Book reference type template to store the publication year (1937).

1. Modify both the bibliography template and citatiion template to include the custom field so the publication year (1937) is displayed in the output.