inserting original publication date....how do i?

hey there

I am new here so thanks for reading (i hope!)

I have a problem…

all i need to do is print out my endnote library so i can use it as my reference list but i need it to include the field of original publication date…at present when i click print preview it is excluded…could someone pls advise as to how to include

cheers and so much thanks!

brigitte

What output style are you using? The output style determines what fields will/will not be displayed in the bibliography.

Hello there!

I’m having the same problem… I’m using APA 6th output style and although I’ve filled the original publication date field it doesn’t show on the bibliography or in the citation I’m using (where it should appear e.g. Vygotsky 1917/2004)…

What am I doing wrong???

Help, please.

Thanks. 

Is that info in a different field?  most out of the box output styles are unlikely to include another field in the citation or the bibliography templates.  You would have to edit them to include them, ensuring you have the backslash linked to the original publication date with the | codes.  

Assuming the original publication year is the extra info the citation template would look something like this

(Author, |OrigYear/|Year)

similarly you would need to edit the templates where this occurs, incorporating the orig field.  

Then you need to save as to a new name and ensure that newly named output style is used in the word document on the endnote toolbar.  

The alternative, if this is a “once off” is to edit the citation and omit year and put the text into the suffix field exactly as you want to it appear,  You would still need to do something to get it appear correctly in the Bibliography though.  

You could also edit the year of the record to include both years in the year field.  That only works if it is similarly utilized in the bibliography output.    

@andreia wrote:

… I’m using APA 6th output style and although I’ve filled the original publication date field it doesn’t show on the bibliography or in the citation I’m using (where it should appear e.g. Vygotsky 1917/2004)…

You’ll need to: 1) modify both citation templates so the “Original Publication” field displays the original year-/-publication year; and 2) modify the bibliography templates so the following phrase and original publication year (per APA) appears at the end of the reference: (Original work published 1917)   Refer to attached image for sample results and the modified APA 6th output style file is attached for your reference.

1. The format for modifying the “Citation” and “Citation – Author (Year)” templates are as follows. (Note that the red dot indicates inserting the Link Adjacent syntax command.)

(Author, |Original Publication/|Year|,•p.^pp.•Cited Pages|)

Author•(|Original Publication/|Year|,•p.^pp.•Cited Pages|)

1. The format for modifying the bibliography templates (applicable segment is emphasized in larger font)  is shown below for the Book reference:

Author. (Year). Title| (|Translator,•Trans.|•Editor•Ed.^Eds.| Edition ed.|•Vol.•Volume|)|.•Place Published|:•Publisher|. |(•Original•work•published•Original Publication)|

APA 6th_Andreia.ens (68 KB)

APA 6th_Andreia.ens (68 KB)

Totally solved!!!

Thank you so much… You were more than helpful. :slight_smile: