I'm new to EndNote and desperately in need of help

Hi you all,

I don’t even know where to begin.

1. I need to cite several translated versions of Miguel de Cervantes Don Quijote, some of which, to complicate matters even more, I got from google books. I have no clue how to fill in the reference in order to obtain the wanted result.

The outcome should be something like this:

Bertuch, Friedrich Justin (1775): Leben und Thaten des weisen Junkers Don Quijote von Mancha. Neue Ausgabe, aus der Urschrifft des Cervantes, nebst der Fortsetzung des Avellaneda. In sechs Bänden, Erster Theil. Wien und Prag: Franz Haas. Digitalisierte Ausgabe von Google Books (http://books.google.com/books?id=8EREAAAAcAAJ&pg=PP7#v=onepage&q&f=false)

Sohle, Pahsch Basteln von der (1648): Don Kichote de la Mantzscha, Das ist: Juncker Harnisch auß Fleckenland. Franckfurt: Thomas Matthias Götze.

This is how we use to write endnotes at my university (style-wise), but:

• I’m not sure, what style this is

- where to fit in the author of the original, i. e. translated book

• how to create the reference so that I will obtain this output
  1. I also use several newspaper articles from online editions and I really don’t know how to cite these. An example would be this article: http://www.faz.net/artikel/C30351/don-quijote-im-wort-bleiben-30074729.html

Do I cite these as web-sites? Newspaper articles? Who is who and what is what? I mean, I got an author, but who would be the publisher, editor, etc? What I managed so far is:

Ingendaay, P. (2008). “Im Wort bleiben.” FAZ.net. Retrieved 18.07.2011, 2011, from http://www.faz.net/artikel/C30351/don-quijote-im-wort-bleiben-30074729.html.

Please, I would really appreciate if somebody could help me. Oh and I use EndNote X4

Thanks so much,

Sheriam

The first thing to do is determine if the place you are going to publish the manuscript has a “house” style.  These are often dictated and provide the best starting point.  The book and book chapter have a field called “translator” but not all styles incorporate it - nor do they usually include any URL links into the templates for those styles.   

You might want to try starting with the Humanities style, Chicago 16th B which has a template for Book and Book Section which include most of the requirements including the translator field.  You might just want to include the whole of the Google source phrase in the URL field and edit the output style to include that field at the end. Any edited style should be saved to a new name, so you know exactly what it is called and that style is then applied to the manuscript.  For example adding URL to the end of the Bibliography “Book Section” template would look like this.  I copied the translator field from the book  into the book section as well in the attached start to an edited output style. 

Author. Year. Title|. In Book Title|. Translated by Translator|, Edited by Editor|. Place Published|: Publisher|. Original edition, Original Publication|. URL

You will need to translate the text words to German :smiley: being careful to include a ` in front of any word that are also a field name in the reference type, or Endnote will insert the field information rather than leave it as the word.   

Doesn’t the first main author still need to be Miguel de Cervantes?  Maybe not. 

With Newspaper articles, you put the “author” in the reporter field and again you could add a URL to the template if needed.  See how Chicago handles it, to see if it works for you. 

Learning to edit output styles is a really useful skill.  The training section of the forum may have some links, and there is a training section of the www.endnote.com website which has some useful Webinars you can sign up for I think. 
Chicago 16th B -translator-url.ens (28.1 KB)

Thanks a lot Leanne!

That’s a lot of information to work through :slight_smile: Not being able to manipulate the output style

is exactly one of my problems. But with the example you posted I think I might manage.

I’ll also try those tutorials.

I’m not sure whether the department at my university will be able to point out a certain

output style they use and which I might then find in endNote. I  guess they’ll rather show

me example bibliographies, so I’ll have to find a style that’s similar and then adapt it.

So I guess I better learn to do this and fast :wink:

Thanks again,

Sheriam

And we are always here to help too.  If a style is close but not exact, you can attach it back and one of us can help to tweak it. 

I managed to adapt your version of Chicago 16th B and I am now satisfied as far as style goes, so: a thousand thanks again :slight_smile:

(Just have to check in with my professor to ask whether she prefers a “original author, title, translation by…” citation or a “translator, translated title, publication details, translated author, translated title” citation.)

The results I am now getting are:

for books:

Tieck, Ludwig (1966): Leben und Taten des Scharfsinnigen Edlen Don Quixote von la Mancha. Berlin: Rütten & Loening. Erste Publikation, 1799-1801. Digitalisierte Ausgabe, bereitgestellt von Zeno.org, URL: http://www.zeno.org/nid/20004644700. Übertragung des spanischen Originals von Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra (1605): El ingenioso hidalgo Don Quixote de la Mancha

for online- newspaper articles:

Ingendaay, Paul. (2008): “Im Wort bleiben.” Review zu Susanne Langes Neuübersetzung des Don Quijote. FAZ.net, Onlineausgabe der FAZ (letzter Zugriff: 17.07.2011). URL: http://www.faz.net/artikel/C30351/don-quijote-im-wort-bleiben-30074729.html

These are the only two fields I modified so far. I guess the “code” is a bit messy but as far as it gets me the desired outcome…^^

Only problem is that I don’t quite understand, yet, how to optionalize text. That is, I only want it to give out  “Übertragung des spanischen Originals von” if there is data in the “Translated Author” field. Same goes for “URL”

I’ll attach my modified style and it would be really nice if you could help me solve this last riddle :slight_smile:

Thanks and greetings

Sheriam

Chicago 16th B -translator-url.ens (28.1 KB)

Sure, the trick is to surround the field name and the punctuation you only want to appear when the field is “occupied” with | (Forced separation) and any spaces (not a part of the field name) replaced with the tiny centered diamond symbol, that is the “link adjacent” symbol.  You can only see these in the template themselves and the | can be typed from the key board (although on my keyboard above the enter key, it looks dashed rather than solid) while you need to insert the link adjacent symbol from the insert field dropdown in the edit output style view. 

Chicago-16thB-revised.ens (27 KB)

Ah, I guessed it had something to do with these bars but couldn’t figure out where exactly I’d have to place them. And the little diamonds, I wuld never have figured them out, was wondering about them all the time^^ so thanks, I really appreciate your help a lot

Sheri