In-text citation style clash with brackets

Hi,

I’m using Endnote X6. For in-text citations I typically use the style [Bibliography Number]; however, on occasion I would like to cite Author (Year). The problem I’ve found is that Endnote inexplicably formats the citation as Author (Year], i.e. opens with a paranthesis but closes with a square bracket.

Any suggestions as to how to fix this would be appreciated.

Hello, Cian:

The Author (Year) setting was really designed for use with (Author, Year) styles, and as such may not work exactly correctly with numbered styles. That said, I’d like to see if we can get this to work for you. What is the name of the style you are using?

Hi Gillian,

Thanks for your reply. I’m using the Harvard referencing system, but have modified it to cite [Bibliography number] rather than (Author, Year).

Thread bumped for a reply.

Can you attach your modified style?  It would make it easier for one of the forum users (most of us are customers and not working for TR) to try to figure out what changes you have made and whether there is a work around to fix it.  

Hi Leanne,

Thanks for your suggestion. Attached is the slightly modified Harvard style I’m using.

Harvard Copy.ens (27.4 KB)

I first modified to add a | after year - and it worked, but then I went back to yours, and it seemed to work too.  So I am on X7 on win7,word 2010, incase that makes a difference.  – But it confuses me how this will work because this style still assigns a number to the citation, but it doesn’t use it.  Why do you want to do this? 

Thanks for your suggestion but it doesn’t seem to work for me. No matter what I try I am still left with a closing square bracket.

The reson for the style is that I would like standard in-text citations to be [Bibliography number], but if I report a graph from another paper I want to write ‘Taken from Smith et al., (1900)’ in the figure heading. In this instance I want to edit the citation to ‘Display as: Author (Year)’.

What is your version and OS?  Mac?  Maybe is a aquirk of the Mac?  

I’m using Endnote X6 with MS Word 2010 and the OS in Windows 7.

I’m using Endnote X6 with MS Word 2010 and the OS is Windows 7.

Weird, me too.