Incorrect footnote citations from EndNote X7 to Word 2016

In EndNote X7 I made my own citations style (no APA or another familiair I could use for my purpose). In my footnotes I need to have citations.

The problem: Using citations from this particulair citations style in the in-line text cause no problems. When I use citations in footnotes my citations show the whole reference.

What I need it to look:

In the footnote:  (Seybold 1984, p. 13)

In the reference list: Seybold, J.W., 1984. The world of digital typesetting. USA: Seybold Publications, Bliven, B., Junior, 1954. The Wonderful Writing Machine. New York: Random House.

And NOT as it does now:

In the footnote: Seybold, J.W., 1984. The world of digital typesetting. USA: Seybold Publications, Bliven, B., Junior, 1954. The Wonderful Writing Machine. New York: Random House.

Can anyone please help me?

Thanks in advance

Could you provide/attach your output style file or provide a screenshot of the style’s footnote templates?

I set the template of the Footnotes equal to the Bibliography. See screenshot.

Thanks for the screenshot which identifies the problem: 1) there are no footnote templates present, and 2) the “Format citations and footnotes” feature is set to “same as bibliography”.

In order to have footnotes there must be corresponding templates that need to be created. Since your output style does not have footnote templates the output is defaulting to the bibliography format. (Refer to the attached image showing foot note templates in the Chicago 16th Footnote style file.) Once the templates have been created change the “Format citations and footnotes” setting to: Using footnote format.

Thanks for your quick reply and the screenshot. I did not made the templates, because the footnotes need to be treated the same as the bibliography.

I will give it a try and make some templates to see if the problem is resolved.

In EndNote I made a footnote template for a book. Only this one for testing.

When I put in the footnote in Word 2016 the whole reference of the book shows in the footnote AND in the reference table. It is my meaning to have in the footnote only (in this case) (Schaefer, 1970). 

What do I do wrong?

You want the footnote option to be “same as citation” (see capture1 attached)  and put a template in to the citation settings in your output style, with cited pages option. 

(Author|, Year| p.^pp. Cited Pages|)

see capture.jpg attached (1st attachment).

But if you actually attached your outputstyle.ens file, we could see what you have a fix it and reattach it for you, rather than images.  ( attach a footnote style with the correct citation template and correct setting in the footnote template page, but the templates in the bibliography are probably not fitting your requirements.  You can copy and past this  citation template into your output style citation template.  

The bibliography templates should reflect what you want in the bibliography itself and footnote templates can remain blank.  

footnotetest Copy.ens (83.9 KB)

Leanne, thank you a million. This solved the problem i looked for a while.