Mac OS 10.9 (Mavericks) Compatibility: Good news!

read the below thread!  X7 is compatible, Pages 5 is not. 

Prock didn’t mention “Papers” (I assume you mean Pages 5.0). He/She mentioned Mavericks (OSX 10.9). I suggest you read the the first post in this thread when it’s claimed a patch would be released in early November to address some of the compatibility issues with Mavericks (again, not Pages, which is apparently another matter that Apple needs to sort out–unfortunately for me).

I’m also wondering when the Mavericks patches will be released.

@leanne wrote:

read the below thread!  X7 is compatible, Papers 5 is not. 

sorry fixed the word Pages (not the glitch!), but I believe the ENX7.0.1 patch was released to fix any glitches with Mavericks.  

http://endnote.com/kb/129914

Leanne is correct; the X7.0.1 patch for Mac was released as expected. If you have any trouble using EndNote X7 in Mavericks after applying this patch, please contact support.

Thanks to both Leanne and Gillian. I did note the X7.0.1 update, and read the reather scant release notes. Is there a way to determine exactly what that patch addressed? Haven’t really noticed any specofic improovements (not that it was terrible), although I do now have nice little beep when I insert/delete a citation. So I’ve got that going for me. I also now have two libraries open all the time–the original .enlp library, and now an additiional .enl library. Any thoughts on how I might address that? Thanks guys.

@gilliann wrote:

Leanne is correct; the X7.0.1 patch for Mac was released as expected. If you have any trouble using EndNote X7 in Mavericks after applying this patch, please contact support.

The update addressed some minor Mavericks compatibility issues – the most obvious of which was a pointless popup that would come up during installation on Mavericks.

If you have 2 libraries opening, and only want one, simply close the extraneous library by clicking the red button on the upper left. By default, when EndNote next opens, it will open only what was open when it was last closed – i.e., the library you want. You can also set this library to be the only one that opens, if you wish. Contact our Support team for details if you’d like to pursue this option, or start a new thread.

Thanks, Gillian. Yep, tried every one of those before posting. And I have only one library. I’ll contact support. Thanks.

@gilliann wrote:

The update addressed some minor Mavericks compatibility issues – the most obvious of which was a pointless popup that would come up during installation on Mavericks.

If you have 2 libraries opening, and only want one, simply close the extraneous library by clicking the red button on the upper left. By default, when EndNote next opens, it will open only what was open when it was last closed – i.e., the library you want. You can also set this library to be the only one that opens, if you wish. Contact our Support team for details if you’d like to pursue this option, or start a new thread.

Sorry, being a windows user (and totally unassociated with TR), I never understand those .enlp files, which is some windows packed up/compressed version I think?  

I’d be interested to know how others feel about this lack of support for older versions.

Most seem fairly happy to upgrade, but I am a little disgruntled. I bought Endnote X5 18 months ago. I know have to upgrade to X7 in order to be able to use endnote with mavericks. To upgrade will cost me £60, having paid a similar fee only 18 months ago. Is it unreasonable to ask that software is supported for a bit longer than 18 months? Endnote is not a cheap buy, and Thompsons don’t have to to charge for an upgrade. 

If not, I’d be interested to know if I now buy Endnote is there a minimum length of time I’ll be able to use it for?

Regards

Gareth

Actually, as a user, I figure if I upgrade another program or my OS - I have no reason to expect a company to continually put money into their program to maintain compatibility, for free.  Having said that, In the original post in this thread, Gillian announced that:

Another piece of awesome news for you… For the first time, we are moving away from annual releases. Rather than releasing a version X8 in 2014, we will continue to release improvements to X7 and add new features. Building on the input we receive from our users worldwide, we will continue to release new features, make improvements to core workflows, and develop our sync capabilities throughout 2014.

Thanks, Leanne.

Gareth, I do understand your frustration, and I sincerely empathize. I know many of you rely heavily on our software – a fact that we’re very proud of! Therefore, let me assure you that we did not plan for the compatibility issues.

The reason this happened is that in Mavericks, Apple decided to cease supporting certain types of code that we used liberally in our previous products. As a result, the older products simply will not launch. This is not an issue with EndNote X6 and X7, which, being more recent, are optimized for more up-to-date Apple OS standards. However, EndNote X5 and earlier, which were only designed to be compatible with the versions of the OS that were available when they were released, are not going to work.

We do wish that we could simply patch them, but the engineering involved would be simply too extensive, involving essentially a ground-up restructure of the product. It simply would not be feasible, and we truly do apologize for that.

1 Like

Many thanks for your replys. I am interested to understand why people think this current offering is OK.

I appreciate that I may be unreasonable expecting a piece of software to be kept current for more than 18 months, but I have a number of software programmes and this is the only one for which I’ve had such a problem. I’m not expecting a 100 year future-proofing, just more than 18 months.

As to the difficulty of patching, I understand that sometimes it is not possible to make a programme function under a  new operating system. However, as a company there are two ways of dealing with it. You either make those affected by it buy a new version of the software, making more money for yourselves: or you offer a free upgrade to, say X6. 

I would argue that offering a free upgrade to X6 is the better option.

Firstly i presume this is a one-off, or are Thompson Reuters effectively saying their software will only be supported for 18 months before you’ll have to buy it again?

Secondly it doesn’t really lose the company money. If the Mavericks upgrade hadn’t affected X5 how many people would have upgraded anyway? I guess not huge numbers. But, those keen for the latest could still have the 30% off voucher for X7 to encourage that.

Thirdly it stops large numbers of customers having to pay again for a piece of software that they bought in good faith only 18 months ago.

I would be interested to know how much money the company have made as result of Apple not considering the software requirements of Endnote.

Regards

Gareth

Thanks for your comments, Gareth. Since we weren’t planning for this issue, we had to scramble to find what we thought would be a good solution for the affected users. I’ll be sure to share your comments with the whole EndNote team to keep in mind if we run into any similar situations.

In an ideal world, of course, we’d be happy if people were able to keep their software for several years. On the Windows side, you’ll find even versions of our software over 10 years old will still function with only minor issues on the latest versions of the Windows OS. However, since we obviously have no control over the future plans of Apple, Microsoft, and the other technology partners our software works with, it’s never possible to guarantee future compatibility. Apple, unlike MS, has a much more aggressive update strategy that results in more of these compatibility issues.

EndNote X5 does still work and is still supported on OSes through 10.8, so if you’re really struggling with this and other software packages, you may want to visit a Genius Bar or contact Apple to see if rolling back your OS one version may be an option.

Again, I do sincerely apologize.

1 Like

Thankyou for trying to explain Thompsons position. Unfortunately I remain unsure why a free upgrade to X6 cannot be offered, but you are not the person responsible.

Perhaps you could answer one question for me. If I did upgrade to X7 how long would it be supported for? What I don’t want to do is buy the new version and then have the same thing happen again.

Many thanks

Gareth

Hi,

I am unfortunately just experiencing this problem now. Is there still an offer for a discount for the upgrade? I’m a grad student in the middle of dissertation and my X4 now won’t open :(.

Thank you.

There are still discount options available. You can either contact Technical Support or Sales for more information:

Support: http://endnote.com/support/contact-support

Sales: http://endnote.com/contact/sales-information-request

I just upgraded to Mavericks, and discovered to my dismay that EndNote X1 no longer works. Fair enough, I’ve had it for years, time to upgrade.  So, I bought the X7 Upgrade, downloaded it, and started to install it.  However, I need my old Serial Number to finish the install, but I can’t open X1 to get the serial number!  Is there any way to access my serial number without opening the application itself? I tried looking through the files in the EndNote Applicaitons folder, but not luck.  Is there anything else I can try? Did I just lose $100 since I can no longer open my old version of EndNote to access my old serial number?

Hello, scan321. 

No worries! Please contact our Customer Support department and they’ll help you locate your X1 registration information.  http://endnote.com/contact/customer-support  Be sure to use the form/number for Customer Support rather than Technical Support for the most expedient answer. 

Hello,

I have X4 and I just bought a new Mac when my old one died, so now I’m on Mavericks.  I’d avoided it as long as I could, but here I am.  I know that the 30% code for the upgrade to X7 is expired.  Is there any way to get a new code now?  I didn’t have the problem yet back in November.  Thanks :slight_smile:

Hello, Popejoy – please see the post just above yours for the contact information of our Customer Support department. Have a great day!