I’m using EndNote x4 with Open Office on a PC with windows 7.
When I close a document and open it again, the citations are still there as plain text, but EndNote does not recognize/can’t find any citations for editing.
The references are still available in the database -> I can insert new citations
What am I doing wrong?
I’m having the exact same problem with OpenOffice 3.3.0 and EndNote X4.The citations previously inserted remain uneditable, and there is no bibliography. Formatting bibliography has no effect - it only picks up citations inserted since the document was last opened. I went through and reinserted several citations and formatted the bibliography, and this ‘worked’. I then closed the document, re-opened, no editable citations (the text still appears). I have repaired EndNote through Control Panel, but this has had no effect.
Thanks for any advice.
Possible solution …hHave been playing around some more, and realised that my document had a .doc file extension. I’ve now saved it as .odt (openoffice), and this seems to have rectified thebiblographic problem. However, I am still having another issue, whereby some inserted citations don’t display in the document text, although they are editable …
Check the file extension of your document. Was it originally a word doc? If so, try saving as .odt (OpenOffice). Let me know how it goes!
Greetings from Norway!
Thanks a million Sharen! The .odt did the trick! :smileyvery-happy:
A bit strange though that the citations disappear when the document is saved as a .doc.
I hope the EndNote team and/or Open Office team, looks into this and fixes the problem, or gives us a clue on how to buypass it, because this limits the possibilities of working on a document. I use different computers (at home, work, laptop) to work on the same document, but since the one at work has an older version of Word I cant open ODT files with it.
Again - thanx a lot!
I have had similar problems, including OpenOffice crashing repeatedly, even when using a .odt file. A number of other solutions has helped at different times.
Copy the text into a new, blank document and reformat the citations.
Unformat the citations and then Format the bibliography again.
Hope these also help.