Mixing text and references within parenthesis

Dear all, could you please help me with the following issue? All I want to do is to produce an in-text citation which looks like this: “(see Lang, 1978, Bransford, 1993, Hayes, 2013, and Smith, 1989 for introductions to ‘phase’ models and Lipdits and Bar-Ilan, 1996 for an empirical test of their descriptive and prescriptive validities)”.

I have tried many different changes in the citation code with no success.

Could you please advise me on this issue? Many thanks, Luiz

you need to use an output style where the directions are to “not sort” citations to maintain the order of your input.  (this may or may not cause problems in other groups of citations).  (I think Harvard is set up with this setting).  

I used some citations from my own library to create the following version.  – apart from a comma before some “and” clauses, I think this reflects your needs?  

(see Bartram et al., 1987, Allan and Shepherd, 1987, and Hagemeijer, 1987 for introductions to ‘phase’ models, and La Rosee and Deininger, 2010 for an empirical test of their descriptive and prescriptive validities)

in the unformated (temporary) citation group, it would look like this.  

{see \Bartram, 1987 #16;Allan, 1987 #6;and \Hagemeijer, 1987 #80 for introductions to ‘phase’ models;and \La Rosee, 2010 #6946 for an empirical test of their descriptive and prescriptive validities}

In the following using the edit citation (right click edit citation, more)  you need to associate the following text with the square bracketed items in prefix/suffix for that citation including  spaces as needed.  (the square brackets are illustrative only, the above is what appears if you convert to unformatted citations, and I find it easier to add additional text in this form, with the  \ following the prefix for an individual citation, rather than use the edit citation tool which you need to save and reopen to add text to the next citation.)

{[Bartram, 1987 #16];Allan, 1987 #6;[and \Hagemeijer, 1987 #80 for introductions to ‘phase’ models];[and \La Rosee, 2010 #6946 for an empirical test of their descriptive and prescriptive validities]}

I added a screen shot of the edit citation dialogue for the above group)

Use EndNote’s Edit & Manage Citations dialog box to selectively modify individual citations within the group. The instructions given below will replicate your desired output exactly as shown in your example (refer to image #3) by modifying 3 of the 5 citations.

As Leanne noted you will need to modify your output style so that the grouped citations don’t automatically sort by the authors’ last names* (refer to image #1, top). After modifying your output style insert the multiple citations into the document one-at-a-time in the desired order. To edit the citations place your cursor on the citations, right-click then select Edit Citations > More.

Change the following 3 citations as follows using EndNote’s Edit & Manage Citations dialog box:

1. First click on the Lang citation to select it then in the Prefix box type “see ” (include a blank space at the end). (Refer to attached image #1, bottom.)
  2. Next, click on the Smith citation and select Exclude Author & Year to hide the entry. In the Prefix box, type “ and Smith, 1989” (include a blank space at the beginning). In the Suffix box type “ for introductions to ‘phase’ models and Lipdits and Bar-Ilan, 1996 for an empirical test of their descriptive and prescriptive validities” (include a blank space at the beginning). (Refer to attached image #2, top.)
  3. Finally, click on the Lipdits and Bar-Ilan citation and select Exclude Author & Year to hide the entry. (Refer to attached image #2, bottom.) Click the OK button.

*To change the Sort Order go to the Endnote toolbar and select Edit > Output Styles > Edit [name of your output style]. Then in the output style’s pop-up dialog box locate the Citations section and click on Sort Order. Change the sort order by selecting “Don’t sort”. Close the pop-up dialog box which will save the changes to a new output style with the word “Copy” added to the file name. Adjust the EndNote tab in the MS Word toolbar to use the new output style file.

I added a screen shot of the edit citation dialogue for the above group)