Multiple computers with single library

Hi all,

I am trying to use Endnote across a range of computers (an iMac, a Macbook and a PC), in different physical location. At the moment, I have my EndNote Library in Dropbox (using version 6.0.2) and that has worked for the Macs (I’m aware that there are likely corruption issues with the library and the use of Dropbox which are solved by pausing Dropbox’s syncing - hopefully that is still correct). I have recently added a PC to the computers that I need to use, both Endnote and Dropbox work, however, when I try to open my library in the PC, I get a corruption error and EndNote suggests that I try to recover the library. Unfortunately, the library cannot be recovered, so I go through the recovery process in the PC version, and get an message that says EndNote recovered 0 references, and I am back to being unable to open the library. 

I am, however, still able to open the library in the Mac OS.

Any workarounds? I am using EndNote Web to sync, but I am trying to get my head around syncing it to a library on my PC which will then sync any changes/additions to the library back to the file I use on my Macs. Can I create a new library on my PC that will sync with EndNote Web so that I have all my files?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Trying to find a solution that doesn’t involve having to utilise usb drives (which I have had trouble with in the past).

Thanks in advance.

Forgot to add that I want to be able to move between each of the computers without having to use a USB on each machine. 

EndNote X6 and later versions allow you to synchronize a library between computers. Please see the following article for more information on the process:

http://endnote.com/kb/122170

Are you putting both the .enl file and the .DATA folder in the dropbox?  I never use a drop box in this way, but having both componants is critical if it is going to work?  

Yes, everything is in dropbox. I am going to try setting up a new library on my computers and syncing through to endnote web, as per the suggestion above. 

Pity it doesn’t seem to play well with dropbox, would make my life much simpler :slight_smile:

I sometimes will compress it to the .enlx file and then move it to the other computer.  Having the exact same library in both places to start with makes the subsequent sync process go much smoother. 

@leanne wrote:

I sometimes will compress it to the .enlx file and then move it to the other computer.  Having the exact same library in both places to start with makes the subsequent sync process go much smoother. 

Great, thanks for the tip.

Brett