Multiple intext citations

Wondering if someone can steer me to a solution. Every time I “format the bibliography” or add a new citation, Endnote or word is entering additional copies of all of the citations that are already present. This means, as I recently discovered after looking back from a bibliography into the body of the document, that I’ve got 20-30 copies of the same citation one after another. 

Anyone have any idea why this is happening and how I can correct it?

Merci.

PS: I’ve even tried deleting them, I hope according to instructions, i.e., going to manage citations, but the help files are quite vague about what one should be doing. 

Hmmmmn . . . . I don’t think it’s that. I’ve already been through various other troubles because I’d earlier used brackets rather than curly brackets. 

But thanks for the reply.

For the record, I’m using Endnote 4, with MacWord 2011.

Y

What style are you using?