Need to add periods to journal abbreviations

I am trying to help a library patron who is submitting an article but I’m stumped.  They used the style Annals NY Acad Sci for their output style.  However, the Author Instructions have periods in the journal abbreviations.  So their citations are listed like this:

Fitsanakis, V. A., Zhang, N., Anderson, J. G., Erikson, K. M., Avison, M. J., Gore, J. C., and Aschner, M. 2008, Toxicol Sci, 103, 116-124. 

But they need them to look like this:

Fitsanakis, V. A., Zhang, N., Anderson, J. G., Erikson, K. M., Avison, M. J., Gore, J. C., and Aschner, M. 2008, Toxicol. Sci., 103, 116-124. 

The only difference is that there is a period in the journal title abbreviation.

I can think of a few solutions, but I don’t know how to execute them.  We could edit the style they are using to add periods in the journal abbreviations.  I went into Style Manager and cannot figure out how to do that.

Or we could find a style that matches the author instructions exactly.  But with the number of styles in EndNote how do I know whether one of them is the one we need?  I’m not going to click through and look at every single style!

The journal they are submitting to doesn’t have a style of its own.  Another option: The patron could call the journal or published and ask them which style most authors use.  

Any ideas?  Thanks for your help!

See this endnote FAQ: http://www.endnote.com/support/faqs/Styles/faq5.asp

and for more detailed discussion on the website of U of Queensland, Australia:

http://www.library.uq.edu.au/endnote/journal_terms.html

Users need to import the needed Journal terms into each LIBRARY they use.  Another good reason to use one library. 

I know a bit about importing terms lists - I have imported all the medical journals terms so I can display the full names of journals, as is required in some styles we use.  However, this person needs to put periods into the abbreviations.  Does the terms list supply multiple abbreviations, one of which has periods?

So they currently have their document formatted in the style called Annals Ny Sci Acad and it looks like this:\

Fitsanakis, V. A., Zhang, N., Anderson, J. G., Erikson, K. M., Avison, M. J., Gore, J. C., and Aschner, M. 2008, Toxicol Sci, 103, 116-124. 

But they need them to have periods in the abbreviated journal names, like this:

Fitsanakis, V. A., Zhang, N., Anderson, J. G., Erikson, K. M., Avison, M. J., Gore, J. C., and Aschner, M. 2008, Toxicol. Sci., 103, 116-124.

I’m sorry if I’m being dense but I don’t know how terms lists are going to help me with this.  Can you clarify further?

If you have terms already in the library, do they have full stops?  the ones from Queensland do. If they do, the style has Journal names, and you need to specify the right “abbreviation” and make sure the correct constellation of checks are below.  Make sure it uses an Abbreviation with full stops.

My abbreviations don’t have full stops (periods).  I guess that’s my problem.  Is there a way to put them in without doing it manually in every citation?

Replace the  journals terms list with one that does have the full stops.  (Delete all the items in the current journal terms list and import a new one into that terms list). 

Just to add one more tip: It is better to import term lists from the one in the Endnote folder or the one from the U of Q library site. The BioScience term list in the zip file, downloaded from EN support site, had weird numbers in the third column which screwed up “Abbreviation 2” format. Maybe they didn’t update?