Unexpected output format

When generating a bibliography using the American Journal of Clinical Pathology output style, I get an unexpected output format in my bibliography. Mac 10.8.2, EndNote X6.0.2

If, in the output style editor, I use the journal citation default, which is Abbreviation 1 and “remove periods” is checked, I get the following output for a particular reference: 

1.Tomlinson BE, Pierides AM, Bradley WG. Central pontine myelinolysis. Two cases with associated electrolyte disturbance. The Quarterly journal of medicine. 1976;45(179):373-86.

As you can see, the journal name has not been abbreviated, and the name is exactly the same as it appears in the “alternate journal name” field which came from the PubMed download of this article’s reference, which was done using EndNote’s search functionality.

If, in the output style editor, I choose Abbreviation 2 and uncheck the “remove periods” box, I get the following output:

1.Tomlinson BE, Pierides AM, Bradley WG. Central pontine myelinolysis. Two cases with associated electrolyte disturbance. Q J Med. 1976;45(179):373-86.

In this case, the output is correct, and the journal name is correctly abbreviated with correct capitalization.

The Terms List entry for the Quarterly Journal of Medicine in EndNote is as follows:

Full Journal Name: Quarterly Journal of Medicine

Abbreviation 1: Q. J. Med.

Abbreviation 2: Q J Med

A PubMed search from within EndNote gives the journal name as Q J Med and the alternate name as The Quarterly journal of medicine (capitalized as shown).

So my question is, why does the option of choosing Abbreviation 1 with “remove periods” checked give a very different (and incorrect output) versus choosing Abbreviation 2 without the “remove periods” box checked?

I suggest you watch this Endnote tutorial to get a handle on Endnote handles Journal abbreviations.  After watching that, if you still have questions, come on back!  I actually suggest though, that you turn off the update functions in Preferences, so you control what journals and abbreviations are entered into your library.  You only need to import the terms list once per library.  You also may need to edit/change the output styles selected abbreviation. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ewy8_DwdZGo