not recognising references

I opened a saved file and for some reason half of the references are not recognised and I have two bibliographies, one which is linked to the text and one which is not. I have tried turning CWYW on and off with no luck…any suggestions?

Did anyone open it with another program like open office and save changes?  – that will destroy the Endnote fields.  

You can try displaying the field codes in the document to see if they are present for all the in-text citations. You can follow the steps again to turn off viewing the field codes by unchecking the option:

On a Windows system:

Word 2007 and later:

1. Word 2007: Go to the Office icon in the upper left, and click “Word Options” at the bottom of this menu.
    Word 2010/2013/2016: Go to the “File” tab in Word 2010/2013/2016 ribbon, and click “Options.”

2. Click on the Advanced option on the left hand side and scroll down to the section titled “Show Document Content.”

3. Check the item titled “Show field codes instead of their values” and click OK.

4. The document will now display field codes…
    Word 2003 and prior:

5. In Word, go to the “Tools” menu, and select “Options.”

6. Here, on the “View” tab, Check the box named “Field Codes”.

7. Click “OK”.

8. The document will now display field codes.

On a Macintosh:

1. In Word, go to the “Word” menu, and select “Preferences”.
  2. Here, on the “View” menu, Check the box named “Field Codes”.
  3. Click “OK”.The document will now display field codes.
  4. The document will now display field codes.

thanks for the reply. I followed your intrusctions and no, field codes are not present for all citations. looks like I’ve destroyed them somehow.

Thanks for the reply. I’ve checked an original of the document and I have the same problem, and it’s only a portion of the in-text citations that have had the Endnote fields destroyed

thanks for the reply. I followed your intrusctions and no, field codes are not present for all citations. looks like I’ve destroyed them somehow.

i went back to the original document which I know hasn’t been tampered with by anyone else and still the same problem, and only a portion of the in-text citations have had the field codes destroyed.

@baxter wrote:

…i went back to the original document which I know hasn’t been tampered with by anyone else and still the same problem, and only a portion of the in-text citations have had the field codes destroyed.

Seems odd that both documents have corrupted fields unless the original document was already corrupted so the subsequent copy replicated the errors. Did you mistakingly use the wrong Endnote library with the corresponding documents? Did you use any external storage devices (e.g., Dropbox, Google Drive, flash drives, etc.) to transport the documents and Endnote library file?

Most odd, that it affected some and not others.  The libarary shouldn’t affect citations and tempory fields in Word.  It would just revert to the “travelling library” embbedded in the document.  Are the citations that are no long linked, the original draft, indicating a loss early in the writing process?  Do you have that draft.  How many refs are you talking about having to reinsert?  – is it an “author-date” style, or a numbered style?  There are tricks if there are quite a few to reinsert, but it is a trade off  as to what is faster, trying to insert them again, or trying to trick endnote into replacing them.  

I may have done some or a number of the things you list! I’m not sure how the original was corrupted but no I don’t think I used the wrong library, yes I did use external storage devices so that must be the issue.

I have manually re-inserted the citations where the field codes were destroyed so problem solved for now, hopefully it doesn’t happen again…

thanks

thanks for the reply. i bit the bullet and reinserted the citations. I appreciate the help