Number range for consecutive citations not working

I am modifying the AIP Style Manual template.

I’m having difficulty getting the consecutive citations function to work when working my manuscript in MS-Word . I have the option “Use number ranges for consecutive citations” checked, but the citations are still listing every citation (i.e., 12-13-14-15-16) rather than giving me a range (i.e., 12-16).

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

-Ryan

When you are editying the style - you want to go to Citations, Numbering and tick the box that says “Use number ranges for consecutive citations (e.g. 1-3)”

Hi Leeane. I have that box checked. It’s not working.

Okay, then are the endnote citations all in one - or are they in separate brackets with a space in between (but that wouldn’t show up like you report, they would be in separate parentheses)? 

Have you changed the citation, separator to a dash, rather than a comma or a semi-colon?  (but that doesn’t recreate exactly what you are seeing either.  - I can’t seem to get that sort of output… Wierd, are you sure that the document is being formated with the style you think it is?  (Check by manually reformatting and look at the style name)? 

If that isn’t it, can you attach the document and style you are using to a reply and maybe I  can look at it?  (add as attchments)?

and what version of word and endnote are you using and what system.

Hi. I’m new to this forum-please pardon any gaffes. Did you get this working? I’m using EndNote on a mac and trying to edit a style. It’s all beautiful except the citation ranges. They are displayed in subscript in the text as 24 rather than 2-4, or 1723 rather than 17-23. Have you found a solution?

Leanne,

Do you know if this ever got fixed? I’m seeing the same problem. The “Use number ranges for consecutive citations” check box doesn’t seem to have an effect for me. I’m using Windows XP, MS Word 2007 and Endnote X2.

Thanks,

James

Works for me (using Science style).  Please attach your style to see if one of us can spot the problem.

thanks,

Hello,

When you first edited the output style and went to the Citations > Numbering, was “User number ranges for consecutive citations” unchecked?  If it was, then it will not work.  If the style is created with that option unchecked, checking it later will not work.

WHAT Peter?  This sound suspiciously like a BUG?

We should start a Bug topic for X2 I guess.  

Hi, file attached. Thanks for looking into this for me.

James

AIAA.ens (9.63 KB)

Yes, the attached style had a strange behavior.

Range became without “-” dash in my X2.0.1 Word 2003/Win XP combination.

The other styles I have are working just fine, so it seems like this problem is something unique to this ens file.

Maybe re-make by copying or ‘save as’ from another style that is working, just for workaround?

Nevertheless, it seems like a bug to me.

best,

@leanne wrote:

WHAT Peter?  This sound suspiciously like a BUG?

We should start a Bug topic for X2 I guess.  

Yes, we should. Also, a board for Mac-OS related issues as well.

OK - think I’ve figured it out. My citation template had a space before the [Bibliography Number] field. Once I removed the space it worked.

Well, even that solved the problem, it shouldn’t be that way because that’s the space you wanted before [Bibliograph Number]. In my hands, removing the space before the [Bibliography Number] gave me [13] which supposed to be [1-3]. Having that space, it came out [1,2,3] regarless of the “Use range…” option was checked or unchecked.

The style file you attached may have some corruption or something, I guess.

Hi, Leanne,

I tried in word 2003 and word 2007 by following your instruction to make it work, but I even didn’t find the Citations in the style. Help me!

"When you are editying the style - you want to go to Citations, Numbering and tick the box that says “Use number ranges for consecutive citations (e.g. 1-3)”

From the Endnote program, you go to Edit, Outputstyle, then make sure your style is selected there.  Now Edit, Output style, edit “selected style” (where the text in the quotes is the name of the style you are going to modify).  Now go to the Citations section and follow the instructions given. 

But do note the message from P Travis below, in case that is what you are trying to do.  In that case, you will need to start with a style with the correct numbering settings? 

Hello,

When you first edited the output style and went to the Citations > Numbering, was “User number ranges for consecutive citations” unchecked?  If it was, then it will not work.  If the style is created with that option unchecked, checking it later will not work.

Peter Travis
Customer Technical Support Representative
Global Customer Support

Thomson Reuters
Tel +1 800 336 4474
http://www.researchsoft.com
http://scientific.thomson.com

I had this same problem (my references were not listing as series 1, 2, 3, instead of 1-3 and the check box was filled in for using sequential numbering).

I think it had something to do with the default settings for that particular output style being screwed up. 

This is how I changed my settings to get the range numbering to work:

For Endnote X2

click Edit → Output Styles → Edit “name of output style”

click on Citations → Templates

the only text within the brackets or parentheses should be “Bibliography Number” (without quotes)

leave the other defaults the same such as the comma with a space for the multiple citation separator and make sure the number ranges selection is checked under numbering

hope this works for you!

This is definately a bug, even in EndNote X6.

I have a journal format of the form "(Ref N), where N is the refernece number, e.g., (Ref 13).  The space between the text ‘Ref’ and the number is required by the journal.

Since there is a space before the Bibliography Number, the Endnote bug prevents combining adjacent reference numbers in the in-text citations.  If I remove the space in the citation template, it works fine, as others have shown.

Here’s a cheap fix: 

In the Citation template, instead of using the spacebar to enter a space, hold down the ALT key and type 255 on the keypad,  This will enter ASCII character 255, which shows on the screen and prints as a space (but it is not a space, which ASCII 32).

This is clearly a bug, and one that has persisted for severa version and needs to be fixed, regardless of what TR folks might say.  Somewhere in the citation generation code is a conditional statement that tests for the space and averts the combine reference logic.  Should be a simple thing to fix. I’m surprised this rather glaring bug has persisted for so many versions.

Paul F.