Hi All

I am using the latest Endnote for Windows V7.4 and am setup for APA 6th ed

I have an author called

“Paul ten Have”

which Endnote formats as

“Have, P. t.”

but which I see in other APA publications should be

“Have, P. ten”

My question is how do I achieve this when inputting the reference?

TIA/gary

Due to the way Endnote handles names there isn’t a simple solution for your example based on how the name is entered in the Author field. But you could have the format “Have, P. ten” appear in the reference list by: 1) creating a customized field in the corresponding reference template to contain “ten” (while the Author field holds “Have, Paul”), and 2) modifying the bibliography template to include the Author and customized field which will then result in displaying: Have, P. ten

I am not certain of APA requirements, but I thought that the dutch names should be listed alphbetically by Have (in this case) but listed as ten Have, P.  

You eliminate the alphabetical treatment of ten (or van or vander or de) in the Preferences, sorting, and add the parts of the complex names that you want to ignore when alphabetizing, there.  (see attached screen shot).  (Not many science journals seem to respect this sort, in my experience, having had Dutch co-authors.)

In endnote help, this is described under “author names>complex” and “sorting”.  

Thanks to both of you for the quick answer

Thanks to Leanne for pointing me off to the help file and alphabeticisation controls there

Warm regards/gary

P.S.  my Dutch colleagues would probably bristle at the Subject heading of “peculiar” LOL.  

Of course! Just to be sure, my apologies, no offence meant

Perhaps some Dutch and others might joint me in asking the developers to think more deeply about this.

My simple suggestion would be to recognise some delimiters eg <> to enclose the name which is to be preserved

Hi CG, a follow up to your suggestion, I am confused what I am modifying:

when you write 1. create a customized field in the corresponding reference template to contain “ten” (while the Author field holds “Have, Paul”),

is it the one found under edit->preferences->reference types

also when you write

2. modify the bibliography template to include the Author and customized field which will then result in displaying: Have, P. ten

edit->output styles->apa 6th->bibliography

An in both cases, is all I am doing is typing say “Tussenvoegsel” which I am calling this specific purpose field after author

Also, I asume I dont need to amend the citation at edit->output styles->apa 6th->citation because the citaion will show correctly now the Tussenvoegsel is removed from author

Warm regards/gary

PS It is annoying that the term list I have for author won’t allow me to add same word with capitalation and lower case e.g. “van” and “Van”

When you write create a customized field in the corresponding reference template to contain “ten” (while the Author field holds “Have, Paul”), is it the one found under edit->preferences->reference types

Yes, just select: Edit > Preferences > Reference Types; click “Modify References” button. Refer to attached image #1 for customized field example (Tussenvoegsel) in the Journal Article reference template.

When you modify the bibliography template to include the Author and customized field which will then result in displaying: Have, P. ten edit->output styles->apa 6th->bibliography

Yes, just select Edit >Output Styles > APA 6th > Bibliography; click on the template you wish to modify; click the “Insert Field” button to insert the formatting codes and field name (Tussenvoegsel). Refer to attached image #2, and below for example, but note further tinkering might be needed as I haven’t tested it. (The “|” refers to the Forced Separation code; the “:diamonds:” refers to the Link Adjacent Text code.)

Author|♦Tussenvoegsel|.

Also, I asume I dont need to amend the citation at edit->output styles->apa 6th->citation because the citaion will show correctly now the Tussenvoegsel is removed from author

Yes, the citation template can remain “as is”.

As to your last comment it’s probably because at present Endnote isn’t “smart” enough to distinguish the condition when one variation should be applied instead of the other. You might consider submitting a request on the Product Suggestions section of the forum.

Best,

CG

Hi CG

Thanks for this procedure. I followed it but was not able to get the Custom 8 field name I used (Tussenvoegsel) to work. I wasn’t sure what you meant by “fiddle” with it. I did check all the characters were as you described. I also used the insert button on the left to insert them (i.e. I did not type anything). Have you any more suggestions on what to check?

In working through my existing bibliography I found a second question on how this will work.  I have in a book section the authors

Potter, Jonathan

Molder, Hedwig

and in the Tussenvoegsel field

te

So does this mean that the te will be appended to both? (I am speculating because I couldn’t get the first to work). In other words, how do I leave a blank on the first line of Tussenvoegsel field so Endnote knows to add nothing to the first author because I just want the Tussenvoegsel of the second line to be added to the second author?

If it is easier for me to send the endnote file just let me know how I do that as I assume I have to zip some folders

Thanks again for your help/gary

You won’t need to do any further checking as your question highlighted a key problem with using a custom field. The custom field will work fine when dealing with a single author. But in the case of multiple authors the custom field will append to each author. Sorry for the misdirection - was overly focused on single author example in your original posting.

So looks like we’re back to the original and simple solution posted by Leanne of: 1) entering names in the Author field beginning with “van”, “ten”, “de” , etc. ( format example shown below); and 2) using the Sorting feature to exclude “van”, “ten”, “de” , etc. when sorting author names for the bibliography. 

van Gogh, Vincent

ten Have, Paul

de Kooning, Willem

van Rijn, Rembrandt

de Vries, Jan

Thanks CG. This results in the bibliography incorrectly reading

van Gogh, Vincent instead of the correct Gogh, Vincent van

ten Have, Paul instead of  the correct Have, Paul ten

de Kooning, Willem instead of  the correct Kooning, Willem de

van Rijn, Rembrandt instead of  the correct Rijn, Rembrandt van

de Vries, Jan instead of  the correct Vries, Jan de

I have posted a call for action on the Tussenvoegsel problem in the suggestions forum

Thanks for bringing this problem to light. I need it fixed before I sumbit my thesis

Warm regards/gary

Apologies, garyo. I was under the mistaken impression that Leanne’s proposed method of entering names in the Author field was correct (first listing“van”, “ten”, “de” , etc.). However, that’s not the case as it doesn’t generate the order you want which is:

Gogh, Vincent van

Have, Paul ten

Kooning, Willem de

Rijn, Rembrandt van

Vries, Jan de

Thinking about this further, I have a revised workaround which also addresses the case of multiple authors.

The workaround is to: 1) use a custom field* to act as a replacement for the “Author” field for the bibliography. (This custom field will contain all of the author(s) name(s) entered in the preferred format and follows your style guidance guidelines for a given reference type.);  2) change the output style’s bibliography template(s) to use the custom field instead of the current Author field; and 3) change the output style’s bibliography Sort Order to sort on the custom field, Year, Title.

Examples of entering the information in the custom field is shown below (based on APA 6th but should reflect the output style format you’re using):

Single author: Have, P. ten

Multiple authors: Potter, J. & Molder, H.

*Note: The same custom field must be used must be used across the Endnote reference types. So, for example, if you decide to use Custom 8 in the Journal Article reference template, Custom 8 must also be used for Books, Book Sections, Conference Papers, etc. Also, after modifying the reference type templates export a copy of the reference table.XML file as a backup. (In the event of a mistake or crash the file can be imported to reinstate your reference type templates, reflecting the modifications you made previously.)  

Hi CG

Thanks for thinking about this further

I am not going this way as I can see it creating a monster of work for my already established libraries

The answer is to have EndNote development fix it properly and I’ll stick with my post over on suggestions

I have spoken with the staff at the library where we subscribe to endnote for them to take it up as well as this is such a basic feature

Warm regards/gary

Quite agree the workaround is tedious and labor-intensive and the best solution is for the developers to fix the problem. Have you considered filing a request to tech support*? Hope the issue is addressed in a timely manner and we’ll see how it goes. 

\ *Technical support

For help using EndNote

Monday – Friday, 9 a.m. – 8 p.m. Eastern (GMT -5)
+1-800-336-4474, press 4

Submit a technical support request

International support contacts

So if it were me, until endnote comes up with a solution, I would modify the dutch names in the library to be Have, Paul, ten  – this would create a bibliography with an extra comma.  I would live with it until the final draft and remove it before submitting.  However - the more I read about dutch names, (and Flemish, French, etc) there seem to be rules about when you use the Tussenvoegsel - when it is capped and when it is not.  There is a long Zotero discussion on this!  and there are rule breakers – like “Ludwig van Beethoven” and Van Buren (the president).

see here: http://docs.citationstyles.org/en/stable/specification.html#name about a third of the way down.  

The remaining attributes, discussed below, only affect personal names. Personal names require a “family” name-part, and may also contain “given”, “suffix”, “non-dropping-particle” and “dropping-particle” name-parts. These name-parts are defined as:

• “family” - surname minus any particles and suffixes
  • “given” - given names, either full (“John Edward”) or initialized (“J. E.”)
  • “suffix” - name suffix, e.g. “Jr.” in “John Smith Jr.” and “III” in “Bill Gates III”
  • “non-dropping-particle” - name particles that are not dropped when only the surname is shown (“de” in the Dutch surname “de Koning”) but which may be treated separately from the family name, e.g. for sorting
  • “dropping-particle” - name particles that are dropped when only the surname is shown (“van” in “Ludwig van Beethoven”, which becomes “Beethoven”)