Pharmacology & Therapeutics

Dear All,

I am looking for new output style for Pharmacology & Therapeutics by Elsevier. Found an old style from 2009, but it for some reason it shows all 4 authors (for the review), which is strange and can not be seen in newest issues of this journal. It also mentioned Elsvier style #5.  Are the any newer versions of the style 5 then?

Thanks,

B.

I downloaded the Parmacology & Therapeutics & Therapeutics output style from the EndNote website* and the format for author names both in-text and in the bibliography conforms to the stated APA 6th style, Also ran a sample test against Milward, Daneshi, and Johnstone’s 2012 article appearing in vol. 136 of Pharmacology & Therapeutics (pp. 295-304) and the in-text and bibliography formats generated by the EndNote output style aligns with the article.

I’ve attached the downloaded output style - maybe the settings were changed or the file corrupted for the version you’re using (?).  Also note that software changes were made to EndNote to accommodate the APA style changes (maybe 2-or so years ago and maybe it was version X4) which enabled listing of 6 or more authors.  So if using the downloaded style doesn’t work, you may need to upgrade your version of EndNote.

*Go to the EndNote toolbar, select Help > Web Styles Finder. Or go to: http://endnote.com/downloads/styles

Pharmacology Therapeutics.ens (14.2 KB)

There was some alterations in the APA style, but I think the updated X4.0.2 version can handle it. 

The APA style itself warns about this, but apparently not the styles adapted from it.  The APA warning and advice also no longer works with the new website (it says:  Important Note: This style is based on some changes to the base reference type matrix of EndNote. For those of you using a version of EndNote prior to version X4.0.2 you will need to follow the instructions which can be found at:

http://www.endnote.com/support/ Just search for “APA 6th”)

To get to the Knowledgebase article -go here(I hope this one works0-added in edit, --nope – but here is the text of the answer) 

_ EndNote: APA 6th Style Update Instructions _

Note: EndNote X4 and later have updated files included, so these files are not required for new installs.

These files are for Windows and OS X systems using EndNote 8, 9, X, X1, X2 and X3. This update and provides users with the most up-to-date formatting required by the American Psychological Associations 6th Edition Style Manual. The download package contains the APA 6th output style (APA 6th.ens), and the APA6th EndNote Reference Type Matrix (APA6th_RefTypes.xml). It also incudedes a copy of the APA 6th format included with EndNote X4 for EndNote X4 users (APA 6th X4.ens) who had previously applied the update.

1. On the right side of the article, you will find a zipped archive. Download and Unzip this package to a temporary folder.

2. EndNote X4 (for users who had downloaded this patch while using older versions of EndNote):

3. Double-click on the APA 6th X4.ens Style; it will open with the EndNote program.

4. Click File-> Save As. When the Save window opens, note the file name. If the word COPY is appended to the end, please remove copy so the style is named APA 6th X4.ens. Click Save.

5. Click the File menu and choose Close Style. This is the only change required to update EndNote X4.
    EndNote X2 and X3:

6. Double-click on the new APA 6th Style; it will open with the EndNote program.

7. Click File-> Save As. When the Save window opens, note the file name. If the word COPY is appended to the end, please remove copy so the style is named APA 6th. Click Save.

8. Click the File menu and choose Close Style.
    EndNote X1 and earlier:
    Place the APA6th style in your style folder.

Windows
C:\Program Files\EndNote(Version Number)\Styles
Windows x64
C:\Program Files (x86)\EndNote(Version Number)\Styles
Mac
Macintosh HD:Applications:EndNote(Version Number):Styles

1. Open the Edit menu; go down to “Output Styles” and click on Open Style Manager.
  2. Find APA 6th and place a check next to it.
  3. Close the Style Manager window.

Next, update the Reference Type Matrix for your version of EndNote below:

EndNote 9 and earlier: In EndNote 9 and earlier , you can manually edit Reference Types. Please contact Technical Support for instructions. Once this is done and the reference types are replaced, you are fully up to date.

EndNote X: Rename the downloaded APA6th_RefTypes.xml to RefTypeTable.xml and install it as described in this Article. If you have already customized your Reference Types and wish to preserve your edits, you can manually edit your Reference Types. Please contact Technical Support for instructions. Once this is done and the reference types are replaced, you are fully up to date.

EndNote X1, X2 and X3: These steps will replace your current Reference Types. If you have already customized your Reference Types and wish to preserve your edits, you can manually edit your Reference Types. Please contact Technical Support for instructions.

1. In EndNote do the following:
    Windows
    Edit->Preferences
    Mac
    EndNote->Preferences
  2. Select the Reference Types option on the left.
  3. Click the Import button.
  4. Browse to the location of the APA6th_RefTypes.xml and select it.
  5. Click Open.
  6. Click Ok.

Thank you all. I have EndNote X5, so I assume no further updates are needed.

Realetd question: are there any unified formats that allow displaying ASCO or AACR meeting abstracts based on a journal format? Looks like its so messy and rules ar enot being followed in the journals.

thank you! I got X5 version. Just ttried your style, but still the same. Word still shows multiple authors listed for exampels below, but I never see more than 2 authors in new papers.

(Bourrie, Casellas, Blythman, & Jansen, 1986)
(FitzGerald, Wayne, Kreitman, & Pastan, 2011)

Bourrie, B. J., Casellas, P., Blythman, H. E., & Jansen, F. K. (1986). Study of the plasma clearance of antibody–ricin-A-chain immunotoxins. Evidence for specific recognition sites on the A chain that mediate rapid clearance of the immunotoxin. Eur J Biochem, 155, 1-10.

FitzGerald, D. J., Wayne, A. S., Kreitman, R. J., & Pastan, I. (2011). Treatment of hematologic malignancies with immunotoxins and antibody-drug conjugates. Cancer Res, 71, 6300-6309.

Now new issue: why references are listed in the alphabetical order of the first author’s last name, not using the date of citation? This happens when multiple references (3 or 4 ) are grouped togetgher. Any thoughts? Never sene this before.

Be certain you have changed to the style in the manuscript itself, and not just in the endnote program, which would have no effect on a pre-existing (or necessarily even a new) word document.  You need to change it to it in the endnote tools in Word.  I haven’t personally tested the issues you raised with the style however. 

yes. word shows same style.

I guess I can try to modify/edit the endnote style itself to limit number of authors that are shown.

Are all Elsevier style #5 styles the same? Is it feasible to use similar #5 style perhaps for the other journal within Elsevier, which has more updated output style available?

@scifi2012 wrote:

Word still shows multiple authors listed for exampels below, but I never see more than 2 authors in new papers.

Now new issue: why references are listed in the alphabetical order of the first author’s last name, not using the date of citation? This happens when multiple references (3 or 4 ) are grouped togetgher. Any thoughts? Never sene this before.

APA style (and Pharamcology & Therapeutics) does not distinguish listing of multiple authors by whether a paper is “new”.  Could you clarify what you mean by providing an example from an issue from the  Pharmacology & Therapeutics or cite the specific style rule from say the APA style manual?

As for the second issue the APA style (and Pharmacology & Therapeutics) lists both in-text citations and the corresponding references in alphabetical order by auhor’s last name. The sort order is controlled in the EndNote output style’s “Sort Order” settings for both the Citations and Bibliography option. The citation sort order is set to “same as bibliography” and the bibliography sort order is set to be sorted first by Author (then Year then Title) - so the result displays an author-sorted list order.

What I mean by "new " paper is that the latest papers/manuscripts from 2012 I have seen never have more than one author in the citation inside the body of the manuscript. I, however getting several authors listed for some refefrences as I indicated in the previous message.

When I open the style, I see the following:

Abbreviated Author List - first appearance

If 6 or more authors, list the first 1 author\

Abbreviated Author List - subsequent appearance

If 3 or more authors, list the first 1 author

Should the above be changed?

1. checked the sort order and I see “Same as Bibliography”. Should I change that too? I rely on a style being correct/accurate for the particular journal.

The usual, for science is for both of those fields to say if 3 or more, list 1.  

but at the end of the day, the editors can fix things like that pretty easily upon acceptance. 

@scifi2012 wrote:

What I mean by "new " paper is that the latest papers/manuscripts from 2012 I have seen never have more than one author in the citation inside the body of the manuscript. I, however getting several authors listed for some refefrences as I indicated in the previous message.

When I open the style, I see the following:

Abbreviated Author List - first appearance

If 6 or more authors, list the first 1 author\

Abbreviated Author List - subsequent appearance

If 3 or more authors, list the first 1 author

Should the above be changed?

1. checked the sort order and I see “Same as Bibliography”. Should I change that too? I rely on a style being correct/accurate for the particular journal.

The above settings are correct for APA 6th style  and no distinction is made to list only 2 authors for a “new” article (current year). So it follows that if Pharmacology & Therapeutics (P&J) is following APA style guidelines then the format for listing the authors in-text is correct. If P&J articles  list only 2 authors for “new” articles in-text then that may indicate an editorial variation applied by the editor(s) or perhaps they’re using a variation of APA style. Only P&J can confirm that for you and until then changing the style’s settings without determining the specific guidelines makes the accuracy of the style iffy.Concur with Leanne’s comment that the editorial change is an easy one if your manuscript is accepted.