Problem with author not displaying

Hi all,

I’m running Version X6 of Endnote for Windows and Microsoft Word 2010. I’m having a problem where, when I insert a reference into footnote, the author doesn’t display with it. There seems to be no consistency to this problem - some references work fine, and others don’t. I have tried deleting the reference in Word and re-inserting it many times, and I have also tried deleting the actual reference in Endnote, neither of which make a difference. Bizarrely, I have only just encountered this problem in the last couple of days, but have been using these same programs for years. The only workaround I have found is to go Edit Citations and add the author into the prefix, but this isn’t a very satisfactory option.

You can see in the attached photo that in footnote 7, the author does not appear, but it does in the repeat citation in footnote 9. 

Can anyone shed any light on this problem?

Endnote problem.jpg

The issue might be related to disambiguation of repeated citations. Which output style using? If you’ve made any modifications to the output style can you attach a copy of the output style file? Have you checked your Endnote library to confirm there is only one record of fthe source cited in footnotes 7 and 9? Also, is the problem isolated only to this source or extends to others as well?

I agree with CG.  We need to see the output sytle file you are currently using.  

Thanks for your quick response. I’m using a version of Chicago 16th A. The only thing I’ve edited in it, though, is to change straight quotes to smart quotes. I’ve attached the style I’m using. 

There are no repetitions of citations in my library.

An update on the problem: It seems to occur everytime I insert a reference when I’ve already referenced that same author (but not that same exact source). There are about 8 authors in my library that have multiple works that I’m citing, and the problem occurs with all of them.

For example, if I’m citing three different books by David Bordwell in consecutive footnotes, Endnote will do this:

[1] David Bordwell, On the History of Film Style  (Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 1997).

[2] Figures Traced in Light: On Cinematic Staging  (Berkeley: University of California Press, 2005).

[3] Making Meaning: Inference and Rhetoric in the Interpretation of Cinema  (Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 1989).

Chicago 16th A Copy.ens (76.8 KB)

Thanks for the output style file and checking the corresponding records in the library. The reason why the same author is not displayed in subsequent works is because the setting in your output style’s Author Lists section is set up to omit listing the author for subsequent works.

Go to the Author Lists section of your output style and look at the last section labeled “For Subsequent Works by the Same Authors.”. The current selection is set to “Omit the author list” which is why the author’s name is excluded from the 2nd footnote forward. To display the same author name for every relevant work the setting should be changed to: Print the author  list as defined above (refer to attached image).

Thank you so much! All fixed. I don’t know how that happened, as I’m sure I didn’t change that setting, but it doesn’t matter now. Thanks again. 

(oops, see I came late to the party!)  The setting you need to change is shown in the attached jpeg.  – omit author name in subsequent works by the same author.