Problem with connections in Endnote X4 and OS X.4

Hello, 

I wonder if you can help me with a problem I’m having with the online search facility in my brand new copy of Endnote X4 for Mac, which I downloaded today. I’ve installed the program onto my Mac (which is running OS 10.4.11) and, from what I can tell so far, everything seems to work fine except the online search / connection function. When I try to connect to an online library database  (e.g. the British Library) to search for and download references, nothing happens - it doesn’t even say that 0 references are found, it’s as if it’s not connecting at all, and just doesn’t respond when I click search. Until yesterday I was running Endnote 9 without any problems - do you have an idea of what is going wrong?

Many thanks,

Sarah

Hi,

I have the same problem. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

J

From the EndNote Knowledge Base:

EndNote X4: Major compatibility issues on Mac OS X 10.4

EndNote X4 was not designed or successfully tested on Mac OS X 10.4. EndNote X4 has major known issues on Mac OS X 10.4. These include but may not be limited to:

• Inability to perform successful online searches from within the EndNote program.
  • EndNote tools will not load in Word 2008. You may or may not receive error messages stating the bundle file could not be loaded.
  • Inability to search PDFs. EndNote will open the library but it will not index the attached PDFs.

As EndNote X4 is not considered compatible, and due to the major known issues, we do not recommend anyone attempt to work with EndNote X4 on Mac OS X 10.4.

1 Like

I am having the exact same problem with OS 10.6.7.  Endnote X.4.0.2.  Any help?

Hi,

I am also having problems with endnote after installing the new  version (X4.02) on my Mac OS X 10.4.11- after installing the new version all the work i had done in Word (2004) was deleted and i could not access this document again as every time i clicked on it to write something it would not respond and i would have to Force quit the program. I can see from the previous message that this new version of endnote is not recommended for mac os x 10.4 so i was wondering if this also includes mac os x 10.4.11?

Thanks