Problems registering for EndNote Web

Hello,

We have a site licence for EndNote X5.   In a recent class users had problems registering for EndNote Web from within EndNote desktop.  So, we got them to register for EndNote Web through Web of Science.   But then some had problems when they put their account details into EndNote.

Has anyone else had this happen?    Does anyone have any solutions?

Thanks,

Keith

Keith Nockels

University of Leicester Library, UK

Hello Keith,

What is the message these users are receiving when they attempt to Upgrade or establish an EndNote Web account with the desktop software?

Users who are having problems with this should contact Technical Support:

http://www.endnote.com/support/entechform.asp

Jason Berman
Technical Sup Rep RS

Thomson Reuters

Phone: +1 800-336-4474
thomsonreuters.com

In addition to my previous post, it would also be helpful if we knew what problems they were encountering when attempting to add their existing account details to EndNote.

Jason Berman
Technical Sup Rep RS

Thomson Reuters

thomsonreuters.com

Thanks, Jason, for that.

A colleague reports having problems registering for EndNote Web - message was “EndNote Web registration could not be completed at this time.  Please contact Technical Support”.   She did have to request a password reminder during registration and wonders if that was the reason for the problem?    On getting the message, she went through the whole process again and it worked. 

From EndNote itself, the message was “EndNote “Transfer References” could not connect to EndNote Web.  This may be due to a temporary internet or server error.  Please try again”.

Keith

One of my users got the same first error when trying to set up an account, (she had tried entering passwords a couple times, the first time didn’t fit the requirements (I really hate the special characters requirement!) and then they didn’t match. -then the msg, contact tech support. Second time thru the whole process, it worked and then we went in thru preferences and set the account information in X4 and it worked. (0h, but we weren’t interested in transfering refs, so didn’t try that step.)

Hello Keith,

If this customer had an EndNote Web account prior to obtaining EndNote X5 and entered the account details into the EndNote Web Preferences of EndNote X5 without properly going through the Upgrade Activation, this would trigger an error if the option to include file attachments and figures was checked during a Transfer. Selecting the Password reminder in and of itself should not be a problem. If the problem persists, your colleague should definitely contact Technical Support so that we can troubleshoot further.

Jason Berman
Technical Sup Rep RS

Thomson Reuters

thomsonreuters.com

Hello Jason,

Thanks for that.   I do have this screenshot of what happened to my colleague if that sheds any light.

Local IT colleagues think that the EndNote Web system may have incorrect details for my colleague and also that it may be confusing this account with others that she has had before.    Is any of that a help?

Best wishes,

Keith

Hello Keith,

The screen capture you provided does not give us enough information to go on. If your colleage can contact Technical Support, we can troubleshoot the problem:

http://www.endnote.com/support/entechform.asp

Jason Berman
Technical Sup Rep RS

Thomson Reuters

thomsonreuters.com

Keith

I helped a user at my university with the same error message (“EndNote Web registration could not be completed at this time.  Please contact Technical Support”). 

We called tech support and were told that some computers (e.g., Windows 7 systems) have firewall settings that prevent users from registering. We got the message on the user’s laptop, but we were able to successfully activate the account on another computer. After it was activated, she could use it on her own machine to transfer references.

Hi, I had a problem with activation, but now solved:

I was doing this:

Edit>Preferences>endnote web,  entering my email and my password, then Activate. “Please enter your e-mail address.” I enter again, then this error message:  “EndNote Web registration could not be completed at this time.  Please contact Technical Support”

But Jason’s post helped me. Because I had registered to endnote web before getting the license from my university, I thought maybe my web account has not recognized my license somehow. I didn’t know how to make it work (through upgrading …). So I did this:

in my endnote web, I changed my email to another email of me, and then registered as a new user with my uni-email address. This time everything worked and now I am uploading all my references plus attachments to the web account.

I know this is not the best solution, I don’t know how to remove my previous account! But this was fast for me that didn’t have much time.