Problems with Ibid. in X7

Dear All,

I am experiencing problems with the “Ibid.” feature.

If, in my footnotes, I add the page to “Ibid”, the page doesn’t show up, and I just keep seeing “Ibid.”

In other words, as of now, this is what appears:

[1] See Vasari 1906, p. 269.

[2] Ibid.

Whereas I need this to appear:

[1] See Vasari 1906, p. 269.

[2] Ibid., p.270.

In my old Endnote X2, without any page specification, “Ibid.” would simply remain “Ibid.”, but if I added a page manually, said page would show up right after “Ibid.”, thus resulting in “Ibid., p. xyz.”

This is an essential feature, and I saw on this Community Forum that other users have experienced this issue with X6, but it appears a patch has been released for X6.

I have looked for updates and patches for X7, but there are none.

Frankly, if EndNote does not provide this fundamental “Ibid”/“Ibid., p.” feature, it kinda defeats the purpose and advantage of the whole EndNote programme.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

CR

1 Like

can you attach the output style you are using so we can easily test it -if a bug, it should be reported to tech support.  

1 Like

Hi Leanne,

Thanks for your reply. 

Please find attached my output style, loosely based on Chicago.

Thanks for your help!!!

Regards,

CR

My Fine Arts Style.ens (25.7 KB)

1 Like

that output style doesn’t appear to create an ibid footnote in my hands, while my Chicago style 16th footnote properly creates ibid and the page numbers are included.  

Below Footnote numbering gets lost in the copy paste from Word)

yours 

[1] Abdul Motaleb, Takihara, Nomura, Matsuda, Higashinakagawa and Shimada 1996, p. 1-25

[1] Abdul Motaleb, Takihara, Nomura, Matsuda, Higashinakagawa and Shimada 1996, p. 2-4

[1] Abraham and Veillette 1990

[1] Abdul Motaleb, Takihara, Nomura, Matsuda, Higashinakagawa and Shimada 1996, p. 2222

[1] Abdul Motaleb, Takihara, Nomura, Matsuda, Higashinakagawa and Shimada 1996, p. 25

chicago 16th footnote

[1] M. Abdul Motaleb et al., “Structural Organization of the Rae28 Gene, a Putative Murine Homologue of the Drosophila Polyhomeotic Gene,” J Biochem (Tokyo) 120(1996): 1-25.

[1] Ibid., 2-4.

[1] N Abraham and A Veillette, “Activation of P56lck through Mutation of a Regulatory Carboxy-Terminal Tyrosine Residue Requires Intact Sites of Autophosphorylation and Myristylation,” Molecular and Cellular Biology 10, no. 10 (1990).

[1] Abdul Motaleb et al., “Structural Organization of the Rae28 Gene, a Putative Murine Homologue of the Drosophila Polyhomeotic Gene,” 2222.

[1] Ibid., 25.

so the ibid option wasn’t selected in yours.  

I fixed it (attached) and now get this: 

[1] Abdul Motaleb, Takihara, Nomura, Matsuda, Higashinakagawa and Shimada 1996, p. 1-25

[1] Ibid., 2-4.

[1] Abraham and Veillette 1990

[1] Abdul Motaleb, Takihara, Nomura, Matsuda, Higashinakagawa and Shimada 1996, p. 2222

[1] Ibid., 25.

My Fine Arts Style fixed.ens (25.7 KB)

1 Like

Leanne,

Thank you so much for your help!

Truth be told, given Ibid. wasn’t working, I had disabled it temporarily, which is why you saw it as not selected. But whatever miracle you performed on my style, it now works! 

Thank you so much, and happy new year! :slight_smile:

Best,

CR

1 Like

I have been having the same problem. Up to Endnote X6, Endnote would add the page numbers when it inserted the ibid. but it is now removing the page numbers. I *do* have the ibid option selected and I have tried both with and without ticking “replace only secondary title”. Help!

Regards

Judy

Actually, I just opened the file that Leanne fixed for CR81 and saw that what she had done instead of asking Endnote to replace repeat citations with just Ibid. she had told it to replace it with: Ibid.|, Cited Pages|.

This has fixed my problem in my footnotes and will, I am about 99% certain, fix it in any footnoting style.

Judy

1 Like