Ready, set… SHARE! Library sharing is now available

Library sharing and unlimited online storage capabilities are now available to all EndNote X7 users, at no extra cost.

With this new release, you can now:

• -Share your library with up to 14 people also using EndNote X7, without additional fees.
  • -Share your entire EndNote library, including references, PDFs and annotations.
  • -Access, add to and annotate simultaneously with colleagues with real-time sync.
  • -Store as many files as you need with no library size limit and no charge for unlimited cloud storage.

Learn more here: http://bit.ly/1yy2c5J

This function is not working for my test library. The Share option is inactive (in grey). I do have an EndNote online account which is registered in the desktop version, but are there settings that needs to be adjusted?

Please advice.

Best wishes

Jan Ove

Please fix the Sync issue ASAP…:angry:

Hi Jan,

Do you have your desktop library synced to your EndNote online account?

Best regards,

EndNote Marketing Team

Hi!

Thanks for your reply. I’ve sorted out the problem myself and the library sharing is now working fine.

Best wishes

Jan Ove

Hi I actually have the same problem as Jan had only I havent been able to fix it was I cannot seem to sync my endnote desktop to my Endnote desktop. I do have an Endnote online account and I just changed the password and I am ready to do. But if I go to Preferences then Sync it asks me for my Endnote Account Credentials - here in I have the User name and password of my online account it doesnt change anything. So my Share button is grayed out.

Thanks

Helga

Hello helga55,

There could be a few reasons why the Share button is grayed out, and the first that comes to mind is that it’s possible that you do not have the library that you are syncing to EndNote online open. This is a really easy fix, and I would recommend to contact our Support to get you sorted out as soon as possible, in case there is something else going on. http://endnote.com/support

Let me know how it goes and thanks for writing,

Meredith M. 

EndNote Team

Hi Meredith,

Thanks a lot for your reply but I am not sure what you mean by ‘my library is not open’ Could you clarify before I get in touch with Support?

Helga

The Endnote Support is really bad and the employee from the outsourcing company doesnt seem to read the email I send her.

Here is the conversation.

MY 1st EMAIL:

Copy of your original request  sent to Technical  Support:
Date of request:10/18/2014
Case #: TS-01893645
Subject: sharing library
Description: After downloading End note 7.2  I would like to share my library with other users in my office but i have had a lot of problems.
I cannot seem to sync my endnote desktop to my Endnote online. I do have an Endnote online account and I just changed the password and I am ready to do. But if I go to Preferences then Sync it asks me for my Endnote Account Credentials - here if I give the User name and password of my online account it doesnt change anything. If I dont give anything nothing changes wither.  So my Share button is grayed out and I cant share the library.
Meredith on the forum said the following "here could be a few reasons why the Share button is grayed out, and the first that comes to mind is that it’s possible that you do not have the library that you are syncing to EndNote online open. This is a really easy fix, and I would recommend to contact our Support to get you sorted out as soon as possible, in case there is something else going on. http://endnote.com/support
But I dont know what she means.
Hope you can fix this.
Thanks
Helga

RESPONSE FROM OUTSOURCING COMPANY:

Dear Helga Gomes,

Thank you for contacting Thomson Reuters Technical Support.

Please accept my apologies for the delay in getting back to you on this request.

Just to be sure, do you see this issue with EndNote on having the same library opened which is set to sync?

If yes, can you please provide the following information?

1. Click on Edit > Preferences and under EndNote Preferences choose Sync and please provide the screenshot of it
    2 Click on Tools > Library Summary… and please provide the screenshot of the Library Summary window

This will in turn help me assist you further on this issue.

I look forward to your response.

Sincerely,
Uma

MY 2nd EMAIL:

Dear Uma,
Thank you for your response. I too am from India - Goa :slight_smile:
I did not understand your question “do you see this issue with EndNote on having the same library opened which is set to sync?” 
But nevertheless I have sent you the print Screen images that you requested. See attached.
Regards
Helga

RESPONSE:Dear Dr. Helga Gomes,

Thank you for providing the requested screenshots.

I am sorry if I did not make myself very clear in my previous email. I do apologize for that.

What I meant was, I wanted to know if you have the library open that you have used for the Sync.

EndNote X7.2 offers you the capability to share your entire library – references, PDFs, attachments, and all – with up to 14 other EndNote X7 users.

However you can share library only if you have performed the sync process and upon looking at the screenshots that you have provided to me, it seems that you have not started the sync process.

I suggest that you perform the sync and try using the sharing feature of EndNote X7.2 and please let me know if you experience any issues.

MY RESPONSE:

Uma,
Of course I had the library open or else how would I try and get to the steps that I told you I went through?
So that I dont waste time with this any more than I already have can you give me  STEP BY STEP instructions on how to 1) sync the library 2) Share the library?
This was my original question - please read it carefully and dont cut and paste from the information you have which you did in your previous reply.
I cannot seem to sync my endnote desktop to my Endnote desktop. I do have an Endnote online account and I just changed the password and I am ready to do. But if I go to Preferences then Sync it asks me for my Endnote Account Credentials - here in I have the User name and password of my online account it doesnt change anything. So my Share button is grayed out."

Right now you have not addressed anything. If you cannot respond then dont waste my time, just forward my request to someone else."

If you can log in to endnote (www.endnote.com, upper right hand corner with your user email and password) the best instructions for me, were to follow these, starting over.  I have a large library with many PDFs.  I had to resync about 4 times as it kept timing out somewhere before it made it all the way thru.  – Finally it is working for me.  

http://community.thomsonreuters.com/t5/EndNote-General/A-way-to-recreate-my-EndNote-Web-library/m-p/53627#M9742 

I am having the same issue. My library is synced to EndNote online. When I have the library open on my desktop, the Share button is greyed out. Please advise.

I am , in the words of our Research Librarian in charge of EndNote, a power user.  I don’t use CWYW at all because most of what I do is track publications for about 150 PIs that are members of our Cancer Center.  EndNote X7.2 sharing seemed to work fine, I have shared my library with 3 others so far.  

The problem/feature I have encountered, is that when I share a library the person who is getting the shared version gets all the record numbers reset.  For instance although my library has 7257 records in it, the first numbered record is #4 and the last record is number 14177.  on the shared library computer, the number of records is the same 7257, but the first numbered record is #1 and the last number there is 7266.

Is there a fix to this?

I know that this is an old thread, but I thought I’d mention that I’ve started using page numbers rather than record numbers in temporary citations (enable this in Preferences>Temporary citations>Use field instead of record number).

The only glitch is that sometimes auto-entered records from journals, etc., will give you abbreviated page numbers like 345-56 instead of 345-356, and the match is a simple string comparison. Once you’ve fixed the records to have fully spelled-out page numbers, there are no further problems with this method that I’ve seen. Note that the TC format is different, basically like {name,date,345-356} instead of {name,date#1234}.