Reference Type drop down menu disappeared

I have been running EndNote X3 on Mac OS X  for the past couple of weeks. However today I can’t seem to find a way to add a book reference to my Endnote library. I have done this successfully in the past (i.e a couple of days ago) by clicking ‘New Reference" in the toolbar and then selecting ‘book chapter’ from the Reference Type menu. However this "Reference Type’ menu seems to now have disappeared so when I click ‘New Reference’, it automatically comes up as a journal entry and there is no option to change to ‘book chapter’ or any other Reference Types. 

Does anyone know how I might get the Reference Type drop down menu back? I have tried shutting down and restarting EndNote several times to no avail and there seems no options in Preferences to fix this.

In the upper right corner of the window there is an oval button.  If you click on that button it will toggle the tools that appear at the top of the window.

Thank you so much Peter, you fixed my problem in an instant!

I am using Endnote x8 and it just happened to me. I cannot find any oval!!!

Frank@an.edu

I am using endnote X8 on Windows. The reference source just disappeared and there is no OVAL anywhere!!!