"Retrieved from" in bibliography

Hi there, 

Wondering if you could please give me a little help.

First things first. I am using a Macbook Pro, have Endnote x7, and am using APA_6th_SCU

Situation is as follows:

• Have successfully edited my output style to include the _retrieved from _function in my bibliography list

• Problem is, the words retrieved from  appear regardless of whether or not a URL is listed. For example, consider the following reference, taken directly from endnote:

Creswell, J. W. (2008). Educational research: Planning, conducting, and evaluating quantitative and qualitative research (3rd ed.). New Jersey, USA: Pearson Prentice Hall. Retrieved from:

• It is a hardcopy book, and not retrieved from an online source, nor was a URL included in the creation of this reference, which begs the question why are the words _retrieved from _still there???

• My question is how do I edit endnote to only include these words when a URL is submitted? In other words, how can I input hardcopy references without the _retrieved from _tag, whilst still allowing it to appear on those references which include a URL?

Sorry for my roundabout way of explaining - hope that you understand! 

(See image for the way I edited the output style)

Thanks, Deisha :smiley:

Endnote.jpg

As always, you can attach the style itself, which can be tweaked and then posted back. You need to let endnote know that the words are dependent on the presence of content in that field.

In this case you need to put a | just after the URL and move the | after the word Pages, if you want a full stop to appear after the word pages but not after the URL.  You also need to replace the spaces with “link adjacent” character, which is available from the Insert field dropdown menu.  These appear as tiny centered triangles, but to these old eyes, circles.  So

Pages.|*Retrieved*from:*URL|

where the * are the “link adjacent” characters.   - you don’t actually need the around theretrieved from unless there is a field with the name.  That is used to distinguish the words from inserting the field itself.  So if instead you had wanted URL: [www.abc.com](http://www.abc.com) you would need to have |URL`:*URL| or you would get www.abc.com: www.abc.com

The | is available in the dropdown too, (forced separation) but it is easier to just type it using the keyboard.   

1 Like

Thank you Leanne,

I followed your advice, and the problem is now resolved.

I hope you have a great day!

Deisha