Search window has disappeared

I can not longer search either databases on my computer or online becuse a search window show up when I click the search icon, select online search from the menu, or use ctrl-f.  I have tried to use the window>cascade option to no avial and i have two monitors pluged in to make sure the window has not migrated.  Please help.

I am using EndNote X1.01 on a windows XP machine.

jay

Greetings Jay, 

I’ve seen corrupted EndNote preferences cause the mentioned Search window to appear off-screen, where it cannot be viewed, which makes it seem like the window is not coming up at all.  The instructions for resetting EndNote’s preferences are listed on our website here- http://endnote.com/support/faqs/Install/faq1.asp#liball.  This particular FAQ mentions dealing with a Service Error: Generic, but would also apply to any other instances where the preferences have to be reset.  Please let me know if this helps. 

Jimmy McColery
Customer Technical Support Representative Scientific

Thomson Reuters
Phone: +1 800 336 4474
ResearchSoft Product Support

jimmy.mccolery@thomsonreuters.com
thomsonreuters.com 

Dealing with Regedit is not a good option for everyone. Any plan to release bug fix that prevents “corruption”? I found X1 was particularly buggy in that aspect, and X2 is more stable, but not everyone has upgraded.

But in my experience, the cascade or view verticle or horizontal should have fixed that, and Jay said that he tried that?

That solved the problem thanks,

jay

Greetings all,

As a follow-up, deleting this specific registry key should be enough to reset the placement of the Search window-

“HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ISI ResearchSoft\EndNote\Preferences\Window Placement Search Frame”

If you have no experience with modifying the Windows Registry, or are not comfortable making this change on your own, feel free to get in touch with our Technical Support department.

Jimmy McColery
Customer Technical Support Representative Scientific

Thomson Reuters
Phone: +1 800 336 4474
ResearchSoft Product Support

jimmy.mccolery@thomsonreuters.com
thomsonreuters.com 

Message Edited by JimmyM on 11-24-2008 06:42 PM

I’m working with a user who is experiencing this same probelm. By deleting the Window Placement Search Frame registry key, will that also remove any customizations, specifically output styles? Or will this solely address the search window and not restore system wide defaults?

System specs: Windows XP, EndNote X1

Many thanks,

andy