See which references I have missed?

I am writing a long document that has some references in the bibliography, and some which are yet to be done. I am aware that you can turn on the ‘see field codes’ in word properties, but these field codes are sometimes half a page long and extend my document so much that my computer has trouble processing it. 

Is there any way to highlight, or to show a shortened version of the field codes, so I can pick up on the ones I missed?

Thanks in advance

I suggest you pick a style (say Numbered) that replaces a citation with something that looks totally different than the presumably (Author, year) that is currently in play?  Select the new style in the word document (on the Endnote Ribbon, or in the format bibliography dialog, depending on which version of Word you are using).  – then you can always switch back later. 

There’s also a Word setting you can change to show you where your EndNote codes are. For MS Word 2007, click on the Office button in the upper left corner, then Options, Advanced. Scroll down to “Show document content” and locate “Field shading.” In the dropdown list, change to Always. Click OK. (This has been possible in Word for a quite a while, but the exact method of getting there will vary by version, of course.)

Now Word will shade EVERY field code, including EndNote citations, your reference list, table of contents, page numbers, etc. (just a warning). Any in-text citation that is NOT shaded is, therefore, just typed text and needs to be inserted.

I prefer working with my field codes shaded all the time, but you can toggle it off and on as you prefer.

Warning: Be sure NOT to check the box above, Show field codes instead of their values. This causes all your in-text citations to “pop out” all their contents, and your reference list and table of contents will be replaced by curly-brackets field codes.

@kmhessemer wrote:

Warning: Be sure NOT to check the box above, Show field codes instead of their values. This causes all your in-text citations to “pop out” all their contents, and your reference list and table of contents will be replaced by curly-brackets field codes.

But if you do, it is really easy to switch back (and forth)  via the same step or the keyboard shortcuts - like alt+F9 (or cmd+F9 on Mac)