Special characters breaking up author names

I have an author name which is “Vergès, Françoise”.
When it formats the reference something happens with the ç, so it thinks it’s a second name:

Vergès, F. o. (2022). A Feminist Theory of Violence: A decolonial perspective (M. Thackway, Trans.). Pluto Press.

Can anyone suggest why this is happening and how to fix it?

If I copy your Françoise – and paste it into endnote, I get your output, but if I get ç from the windows character map and replace the letter in your name with the character map retrieved ç – it works…

try copy and pasting this into your record

Vergès, Françoise

you may also need to have the right font selected?

this is from the help files (on windows)

The Character Map

The Character Map program (CHARMAP.EXE) is supplied with all versions of Windows. Both diacritical characters and symbols can be entered using the Character Map.

To use the Character Map program:

1. Click the Search button on the Windows Taskbar.
  2. Type “character map” to find the application. The window showing the application will also show options to add it to Start or pin it to the Windows Taskbar. Setting one of these options will make it easier to access in the future.
  3. Open the Character Map program.
  4. Choose the font for the character from the drop-down list. Below is the list of fonts EndNote supports.
  • Arial
  • Courier New
  • MS Serif
  • MS Sans Serif
  • Symbol
  • Times New Roman
  • Wingdings
  1. Select the character you want to copy to EndNote and click the Select button. The character will appear in the Characters to copy [field](javascript:TextPopup(this))A field refers to a part of an EndNote reference, such as the author, year, or title. In the EndNote Reference window, each field is displayed as its own section, containing a separate piece of information, such as author names or keywords. Fields are arranged in EndNote styles to show how the data should be formatted. They are arranged in EndNote import filters to show how the tagged data should be imported…
  2. Click the Copy button, then paste the character into EndNote.
  3. If the character does not appear as you expect, select the character in EndNote, then select Font from the Edit menu, and then select the font that matches the one you selected in Character Map.

Note: If you want to enter characters in another language that requires more than just adding [diacritics](javascript:TextPopup(this))Diacritics are phonetic variations, such as accents, associated with a letter. When using the Sort References command or formatting a bibliography, EndNote sorts diacritical characters according to the rules of the language that is selected on the Sort References dialog. Characters with diacritics are sorted differently in English, Spanish, Swedish, and other systems. Diacritical marks can be significant in searches. or common symbols, you will need to add that language to your copy of Windows. See Working with Multiple Languages for more information.

Hmm, yes that does fix it. I wonder how it’s done that - it’s a straight download of an .ris file from the library site.

Anyway, thanks for the tip!

I went back to help and found this discussion relevant to “importing text files”

Importing Text Files-Win

1. Select a Text Translation option.

This option allows you to specify the text character encoding of the file you import, so that extended characters transfer correctly. You should verify the setting with your database. Some U.S. databases that contain extended characters require ANSI-Latin1 or UTF8. MARC format files may require ANSEL translation. You might be able to use No Translation for text files that do not contain any extended characters.