The Custom 1 field is ignored during import.

The EndNote documentation page “Creating a Tagged EndNote Import File” lists the “%1” tag as corresponding to the “Custom 1” EndNote Generic Field Name. Unfortunately, EndNote ignores any values tagged with “%1” within import files. The values are not imported into the “Custom 1” field.

Test System: Thomson Reuters EndNote X5.0.1 (Bld 5774); Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1 (64-bit).

The EndNote Import Filter is likely set to {IGNORE} data tagged as %1 for Custom 1. You can edit the filter to change this behavior. In EndNote, click on the Edit menu > Import Filters > Open Filter Manager. Browse to EndNote Import and double-click the name to open it. Click on the Templates option to the left. For each Reverence Type template that you use, look for the %1 tag. You can remove {IGNORE} and replace it by clicking the Insert Field command to add the appropriate field. If the field is not listed, you can modify the Reference Types to include it. To do this, click on the Edit menu > Preferences > Reference Types and click Modify Reference Types. For each Reference Type, you can add or modify the field label to the right of the generic name. So, if the book Reference Type contains no label for Custom 1, you can add one. Click OK when you are done to save the changes. Once this is complete, you should be able to insert the appropriate field into the Filter. Save the Filter from the File menu and use the updated filter to import your data.

Jason Berman
Technical Sup Rep RS

Thomson Reuters

Phone: +1 800-336-4474
thomsonreuters.com

1 Like

Thanks for the detailed reply Jason. I see now that the “EndNote Import” filter handles the EndNote tags with Reference Type-specific Templates that are sensitive to user-customizations. After reading the “Creating a Tagged EndNote Import File” documentation, I was under the impression that the EndNote tags were all used in all cases. I was also under the impression that they could consistently be used to insert into the designated data columns regardless of the field names assigned to reference types.

My objective is to write a custom program that reads metadata from a document database and imports that data into EndNote. I would like the data to load consistently for all users. It seems that in addition to creating a custom .enw file with tags, I also need to customize or create an EndNote Import Filter, as well as modify of the three “Unused” reference types.

I could in theory modifiy the document database to output .enw tagged files automatically. However, the changes to the EndNote Import Filter and Reference Type modifications seem to need to be done manually by the user.

Is there a way to import records from a document database into EndNote consistently without requiring the user to customize their installation of EndNote manually?

This is only possible using a standardized tagged format where the fields specified correspond to a field available for that Reference Type. If the field is not a part of the standard Reference Type table for that version of EndNote or if the filter is not configured to import that data, the problem will persist. For fields that are not a part of the standard Reference Type template, you can configure your tagged file to import into the Notes field or another existing field.

Jason Berman
Technical Sup Rep RS

Thomson Reuters

Phone: +1 800-336-4474
thomsonreuters.com

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification. I will store the custom data in the Notes field rather than attempting to customize a Reference Type.