Transferring Endnote Library

Hello, I’m working on Endnote X7 for windows, and I’m trying to move my library from a shared drive to the desktop (on the same computer). I was told to simply copy and paste both .enl and .data files, but when I open the library from the new desktop location it won’t sync with my online library. Is there an important step that I missed here? Is there a better way to make this transfer?

Thanks in advance for responses.

I recommend you call tech support (http://endnote.com/support))  as syncing is very complicated and I suspect the path is an integral part of the “link” so moving it elsewhere is a “new” library and one might have to start over with the sync process. Tech support is going to need to talk you thru what is possible.  When my library got corrupted, I renamed the recovered version and it took some doing to get back to a working synced version.

(just another user)   

Hello,

It sounds like you already had a library that you have synced. Since you have already done that first step, on another computer, all you have to do is create a new blank library and then go to the Tools menu and select Sync. Once you add your email address and password, it will pull down the references you have online.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to give us a call at 1 (800) 336-4474

Thanks,

Miguel Mendoza

On the same computer is key here Miguel.  It can’t sync to a “second” library on the same computer.  they moved the synced library.