Using Endnote With Microsoft Word

Hello,

I’m currently using Endnote version X.0.2 and Microsoft Word 2010 on a machine running Windows OS 7. I want to be able to put references into my Word docuuments with Endnote, and I’m told you can have a button in Word that will allow you to do this. I looked at the FAQ directions, and everything went fine until the directions said to move some files to “C:\Users[YOUR USER NAME]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP.” I cannot find this file; when I follow the path, I get to “C:\Users[YOUR USER NAME]” and there is no “\AppData” folder.

If anyone can help me, that would be most appreciated. Thanks a lot.

EndNote X.0.2 is not compatible with Word 2010. See this web page http://www.endnote.com/support/en_wpchart_win.asp for compatibility information.

Oh shoot. Is there nothing I can do then?

If you’re running Windows 7 you could try changing the compatibility setting so EndNote X.0.2 runs on an earlier version of Windows, like XP.

If you have a shortcut icon for EndNote on the desktop just put your cursor on the EndNote icon, then right-click to bring up a sub-menu and click “Properties”.  In the Properties window, locate and click the tab named “Compatibiity”.  Then under the compatibility mode, click to select “Run this program in compatibility mode for” then select Windows XP (or use the pull-down menu to select an earlier OS). Click the OK button to save the changes and close the Properties window.  Restart your computer.

If you do not have a shortcut icon, click the Windows start button (lower left corner of the desktop), select “All Programs” and locate the EndNote program.  Place your cursor on the EndNote program listed then right-click to display the submenu and click "Properties. In the Properties window, locate and click the tab named “Compatibiity”.  Then under the compatibility mode, click to select “Run this program in compatibility mode for” then select Windows XP (or use the pull-down menu to select an earlier OS). Click the OK button to save the changes and close the Properties window.  Restart your computer.

crazygecko how is this going to solve the problem of X.0.2 not being compatible with Word 2010? This version of EndNote was created before Word 2010 was available so how can CWYR know about it?

Sorry, my mistake in not noticing you’re using Office 2010.  In that regard, it looks like the available options now would be to either upgrade to EndNote X4 or revert to an earlier version of Office that’s compatible with Windows 7.

Yes, as Crazy says, you can upgrade to Endnote X4 - assuming you are using the 32 bit version and not the 64 bit version. (but a 64 bit version is available for beta testing I believe.)

Your other option which I think will work, is to work without CWYW.  Endnote is open, and you insert by copy and paste the curly bracketed forms of endnote citations.  You then save the word document as an RTF and then use endnote to open and  format the RTF version of the paper. 

Wait what exactly is CWYW (and I think someone mentioned CYWR)? And is RTF the filetype of endnote?

CWYW stands for “Cite While You Write” which, in EndNote, generates the completely formatted in-text and corresponding bibliographic reference.  If the CWYW option is deactivated, you will only see the “curly braces” and temporary field codes.

RTF stands for “Rich Text Format” which is associated with the word processor (MS Word 2010).  Saving a document as an .rtf maintains the document’s formatting.

Is CWYR[ight] being mistaken tor CWYW[rite]?

Oh okay, so I should just copy and paste the Endnote citations into my writing?

Per Leanne’s prior posting (snippet below), that’s what you’ll be doing: copying (or cutting) and pasting:

@leanne wrote:

Endnote is open, and you insert by copy and paste the curly bracketed forms of endnote citations.  You then save the word document as an RTF and then use endnote to open and  format the RTF version of the paper. 

You are delving into the foggy past of my memories, – so I looked at the help (in EndnoteX4).  You should look for a similar topic in your version of Endnote. 

I found the best Step by step instructions under the topic “RTF file extension”  The same information is in the PDF manual that should be in the program folder of Endnote.  There, search for “RTF” or “RTF scanning” or "basic instructions (Format Paper). 

The instructions started like this:

Basic Instructions (Format Paper)

This topic describes how to create formatted citations and bibliographies for your papers without using Cite While You Write™ for Microsoft ® Word or OpenOffice.org Writer.

Oh okay, thank you guys so much! I’ll try out the RTF file extensions soon.

EDIT: This works great guys! Very awesome. Thanks so much for your help!!!

This won’t help this person, but for other users, it IS possible (and not difficult)  to add the red “Insert Reference” arrow to Word’s Quick Access Toolbar.

I use EndNote X2 with Word 2007. Presumably any fairly recent version of EndNote that is integrated into the Word 2007 or 2010 ribbon will allow this.  It’s a nifty thing to have. Here’s how:

1. Right-click on the Quick Access Toolbar and select "Customize Quick Access Toolbar.

2. In the Customize dialog box, click on the dropdown list on the left called"Choose commands from." Near the bottom of that dropdown list you should find EndNote XX Tab. Select it.

3. The list of commands below should change to show a list of EndNote commands. Locate and select “Insert Selected Citations”, then click on the Add button right in the middle, between the two lists. The red Insert arrow should show up on the right side; you may use the up/down arrows at the far right to move it around. I made it the very first item on my QAT because it appears directly underneath the EndNote Tab’s “Insert Citation” button, which I find a rather poor design. Why do we have to click twice to perform the most common EndNote function?