X2, Mac: Endnote reports that Styles folder does not contain any styles

Hello!

I have recently installed X2 on my new MacBook. I downloaded the latest output styles package (v8 and up) from the Endnote homepage and set the folder preferences to the folder where I copied the styles. There are no other types of files, besides EndNote style files, within this particular folder. Nevertheless, Endnote reports that my styles folder does not contain any styles, when I try to open the Style Manager or select a style.

What I can do, however, is open the .ens files directly from the Finder window, it’s just that Style Manager does not seem to be able to find them. 

Any ideas on how to solve this?

Hello alfajiri,

If you had any previous versions of EndNote installed on your system, you might benefit from resetting your system preferences as detailed in http://endnote.com/support/faqs/Install/faq27.asp.  Even if you haven’t, resetting a piece of software to its factory settings is never a bad first troubleshooting step.

Hello Mike,

There were no previous versions of EndNote on the machine and no, resetting the software did not change anything. As before, the only style I get, for some reason, is “Annotated”.

Martin. 

Then I would recommend getting in touch with us directly:  http://endnote.com/encontact.asp

Well, I have actually already tried that but have not received any response to my second e-mail for three weeks now.

See ref:00D3un.50077bJPC:ref

Martin.

I am having this same problem. 

The only style I can use is annotated. When I try to select another style I get the message:

Your Styles folder does not contain any Styles.

My styles folder contains all the styles. I set up new styles folders and selected them under preferences but no change.

I reinstalled the software and it worked fine until I quit and reopened Endnote. Now it is back to the old problem.

I reported this to customer support twice and have never received a response.  

I recommend contacting tech support via their phone number

Technical Support
(questions on using software) 425 Market Street, 6th floor
San Francisco, CA 94105
Phone: 800-336-4474
at the prompt press 4, and then select the “ResearchSoft Products” option.

If you move or copy the EndNote application from the /Applications/EndNote X2/ folder, this will happen.  This typically happens when people try to create an icon on their Desktop or Dock to start EndNote.  Instead of creating an alias the application file either moved or copied.  When that happens and you start the now orphaned EndNote application it tries to find the styles folder in the location where the orphaned application is, which is not where the styles actually are.

Quit from EndNote if it is currently running and open a Finder window and go into /Applications/EndNote X2 and double click on the EndNote X2 application to start the program and see if the problem continues.

1 Like