APA Style - Problems with in text citation - Thanks for your help!

Hello everybody,

I am using Endnote X4 on with Office4Mac 2011 and need to cite in APA style. I imported the APA style successfully and can use the output style.

I have a problem with in-text citation. I need to cite in two ways.

(1) According to XYZ (1999) Norway is a nice country.

(2) Norway is a nice country (XYZ, 1999)

The problem is that when I insert a citation in the document, Endnote always cites in version 2 (see above). I can I insert a citation in version 1? Do I have to specify that manually? How can I tell Endnote which type it should use, I think that not easy as both versions are in-text citations. But there must be a solution for that?

Thank you very much.

Best, Manuel

The solution in X4 is to “edit citation” tool and hide the author after dragging it out of the parentheses.

When X5 for the Mac is available, the “edit citation” tool will also so have the alternative Author (year) as a option (at least it is for the recently released windows version).   

Here is a screen shot of the Windows version of the feature that Leanne mentions. We plan to include this option for the Macintosh version of EndNote X5 too. The Macintosh version should be ready by mid September.

Jason Rollins, the EndNote team

X5_CWYW_Edit_Citation.jpg

To give a little more detail on how to use the Edit & Manage Citations tool to acheive this format in EndNote X4, please see the following Frequently Asked Questions page on this topic:

http://endnote.com/support/faqs/CWYW/faq9.asp

As Jason & Leanne have mentioned, this will be streamlined even further in X5, but the above instructions should get you there for X4. Please let us know if you have any further questions.