Capitalizing words in an article title

Hi All,

I’m using Endnote X5 and MS Word 2007.  I’m trying to generate the following citation:

Beekman, A. T. F., Deeg, D. J. H., Van Limbeek, J., Braam, A. W., De Vries, M. Z., & Van Tilburg, W. (1997). Criterion validity of the center for epidemiologic studies depression scale (ces-d): Results from a community-based sample of older subjects in the netherlands. Psychological Medicine, 27(1), 231-235.

The problem is that it should read, “Center for Epidemiologic Studies Depression Scale (CES-D)… Netherlands.”  I can’t figure out how to get it to capitalize words besides the first word of the title.

I’m sure this is covered somewhere, but after some searching I can’t turn it up.  Any and all suggestions are appreciated!  Thanks much,

Daniel

The output style you are using is likely set to “Sentence style capitalization.”

The output style can be modified via Edit > Output styles and then look under Bibliography/Title capitalization (and if appropriate, Footnotes/Title capitalization). It’s best to give the modified output style a different filename, e.g. OldStyleName-Daniel.ens so you can always go back to the original.

If you’ve already got the titles entered in your EndNote library with the capitalisation you want them to appear in, choose “Leave titles as entered”

If they aren’t entered with the right capitalisation (or you’ll be using various styles over time with different requirements for capitalisation) it’s best to change it to “Headline style capitalization”, though you will likely need to add words you don’t want capitalised (such as “for” and “of”) to the list at Edit >Preferences > Change case.

Cheers

John

Hi John,

Thank you for your response!  So, if I do this, then do all the other citations in my ref’s section also change to reflect capitalization as typed in the EndNote file as well?  If so, is there a way to change just this one reference?

Thanks again,

Daniel

Why should some be headline style and others be sentance style? 

Hi Daniel

Changes made to the output style are “global” in effect, so yes all titles are affected by the change.

If you want full control, change the setting to “Leave titles as entered” and if necessary edit the references in your library so they have the correct capitalisation. But what you gain in granularity you may lose in fiddling around correcting capitalisation in each reference; not to mention if you later need to use another style with different capitalisation requirements.

Cheers

John

Another option is to add “CES-D” to the list of terms in your Change Case preference. 

• Mathilda Edmunds, the EndNote team