Chicago Document/Note (Humanities) Style

Is there an Endnote Output style that matches this (from CMOS 16, 14.18):

Michael Pollan, The Omnivore’s Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals (New York: Penguin, 2006), 99–100.

Pollan, Omnivore’s Dilemma, 3.

This is NOT Chicago 16A. (As far as I know, 16A is EndNote’s term, not Chicago’s) And I cannot find any style that comes close. But it must exist in the standard defaults; it is extremely common in humanities publishing. Am I missing anything?

Thanks in advance

JIP

More from same page:

14.18Notes and bibliography—examples and variations

The examples that follow are intended to provide an overview of the notes and bibliography style, featuring books and journal articles as models. Each example includes a numbered note and a corresponding bibliography entry. Some examples also include a shortened form of the note, suitable for subsequent citations of a source already cited in full. In practice, in works that include a bibliography that lists in full all sources cited, it is acceptable to use the shortened form in the notes even at first mention. For advice on constructing short forms for notes, see 14.24–31. For many more examples, consult the sections dealing with specific types of works throughout this chapter.

BOOK WITH SINGLE AUTHOR OR EDITOR

For a book with a single author, invert the name in the bibliography but not in the notes. Punctuate and capitalize as shown. Note the shortened form in the second note. Note also that actual page numbers cited are usually included in a note but not in a bibliography entry, unless the entry is for a chapter, in which case the page range in which the item appears is included (see “Chapter in an Edited Book,” below; see also 9.58–63).

1. Michael Pollan, The Omnivore’s Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals (New York: Penguin, 2006), 99–100.

2. Pollan, Omnivore’s Dilemma, 3.

Pollan, Michael. The Omnivore’s Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals. New York: Penguin, 2006.

A book with an editor in place of an author includes the abbreviation ed. (editor; for more than one editor, use eds.). Note that the shortened form does not include ed.

1. Joel Greenberg, ed., Of Prairie, Woods, and Water: Two Centuries of Chicago Nature Writing (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2008), 42.

2. Greenberg, Prairie, Woods, and Water, 326–27.

Greenberg, Joel, ed. Of Prairie, Woods, and Water: Two Centuries of Chicago Nature Writing. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2008.

BOOK WITH MULTIPLE AUTHORS

For a book with two authors, note that only the first-listed name is inverted in the bibliography entry.

1. Geoffrey C. Ward and Ken Burns, The War: An Intimate History, 1941–1945 (New York: Knopf, 2007), 52.

Ward, Geoffrey C., and Ken Burns. The War: An Intimate History, 1941–1945. New York: Knopf, 2007.

Would the “MHRA” (Modern Humanities Research Association) output style (with possible modifications) be a starting point?

Possibly. Many thanks. It’s a British style. I am surprised there is nothing corresponding to the format outputs I listed though. As  I said, these are what Chicago recommends. But Endnote’s Chicago 16th Footnote gives something else entirely:

Billoski, T.V. Introduction to Paleontology. 6th ed.  New York: Institutional Press, 1992.

Morehouse, S.I., and R.S. Tung. “Statistical Evidence for Early Extinction of Reptiles Due to the K/T Event.” Journal of Paleontology 17, no. 2 (1993): 198-209.

Schwartz, M.T., and T.V. Billoski. “Greenhouse Hypothesis: Effect on Dinosaur Extinction.” In Extinction, edited by B.T. Jones and N.V. Lovecraft, 175-89. New York: Barnes and Ellis, 1990.

Possibly. Many thanks. It’s a British style. I am surprised there is nothing corresponding to the format outputs I listed though. As  I said, these are what Chicago recommends. But Endnote’s Chicago 16th Footnote gives something else entirely:

Billoski, T.V. Introduction to Paleontology. 6th ed.  New York: Institutional Press, 1992.

Morehouse, S.I., and R.S. Tung. “Statistical Evidence for Early Extinction of Reptiles Due to the K/T Event.” _Journal of Paleontology _17, no. 2 (1993): 198-209.

Schwartz, M.T., and T.V. Billoski. “Greenhouse Hypothesis: Effect on Dinosaur Extinction.” In Extinction, edited by B.T. Jones and N.V. Lovecraft, 175-89. New York: Barnes and Ellis, 1990.