"citation-name" style available in EN?

I have a patron who wants to use a style I’ve never heard of.  It uses numbers in the text and an alphabetical source list.  She sent me this explanation:

“In the Citation-Name style references are to be listed alphabetically in the reference list and assigned a number that reflects the order in which it is listed in the reference list.”

Example:

in-text reference

Ziff found (58)…

Amandopolis considered spatial…(1)…

According to Simpson’s research (32)…

Burns sampled (2)…

end reference

1. Amandopolis…
  1. Burns…
  1. Simpsoon…
  1. Ziff…

from this website:  http://www.wsulibs.wsu.edu/electric/quickguides/docs/CSECitation-Name.html

Can we do this in EN?  I’ve never seen a style where the bibliography list determines the in-text citation number rather than the reverse!  Apparently it’s Council of Scientific Editors style?  I looked and there is no style called “Council of Scientific Editors” or “Citation-Name” or “Alphabetical Name” or other terms I tried to think of.  I am stumped.  

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

~Monica

Message Edited by mbafetti on 07-31-2009 02:28 PM

There are two versions of this bibliographic style provided with EndNote - shipped with version X3 and available at endnote.com. They are listed under “CSE” for Council of Scientific Editors.

CSE Style Manual, 7th ed. (Citation-Sequence)

CSE Style Manual, 7th ed. (Name-Year)

Jason Rollins, the EndNote team

Jason, thank you for your answer.

EDITED:  Actually, I just realized.  the style i am looking for is CSE Citation-Name.  The Citation-Sequence style is not right, nor is Name-Year. See descriptions below:

Citation-Sequence Style:

• End references are sequenced based on the order that they appear in the text, they are not listed alphabetically.
  • Use numbers within the text to refer to the end references.

Name-Year Style:

Ordering a Reference List

• In the reference list, list alphabetically by author
    In Text Citations

Single Author

• For in-text references, list the author and the year

Example:

Due to uneasiness on the part of male spectators the foot-long hotdog has been removed from the concession menu (Flanders 2002).

I need an alphabetical list where the in-text citations come from the position of the cite within the LIST, not in the text.  And the in-text cites MUST be numbers.

Message Edited by mbafetti on 07-31-2009 02:53 PM

As for:

“I need an alphabetical list where the in-text citations come from the position of the cite within the LIST, not in the text.  And the in-text cites MUST be numbers.”

This is exactly the formatting I am seeing using the CSE Style Manual C-S.enl and EndNote X3. Looking at the settings in the Output Style Editor confirm that these are set correctly.

There are three CSE styles.  The one I need is called Citation-Name.  The ones you told me about are  Name-Year and Citation-Sequence, neither of which does what i need.  Sorry if I’m misunderstanding your reply, but you didn’t mention Citation-Name style.  Is that one also available?  I’m not seeing it in my X2 styles.

Thanks!

See also the thread which is a sticky in the Styles, Filters, and Connections forum.  there - a whole slew of alphabetically numbered options are available to download.  

1 Like

I found it~ the style is called “TF-D CSE citation-Name” in EN X2.

Yay!

Thanks for your help.

~Monica

Edited:  Thanks both Jason and Leanne!!! You guys rock!

Message Edited by mbafetti on 07-31-2009 03:15 PM

I am just seeing the two styles as well.

You might try tweaking one of these style to meet the “Citation-Name” requirements.

I do not have the CSE style guide handy but will have someone on the team check to see if we could not add a third standard CSE style at some point.

Jason, I actually found the citation-name style in my EN X2 styles.  It’s odd if they removed it for version X3, though…seems unlikely unless the style has changed.  But anyway, for now I’m happy! 

Edited to add:  and again, thank you!

Message Edited by mbafetti on 07-31-2009 03:22 PM

We did not remove it for version X3. I was just rushing and did not look closely enough.

1 Like